• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-shouldered Kite, SW France (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone.

Has anyone up to date information on Black-shouldered Kites in SW France? I believe the Adour valley is the place to go and I read there were as many as 120 pairs in 2012. I will be passing through the Dordogne/Landes area in a few weeks but am likely to be east of Aire sur l'Adour. The best areas seem to be west of Aire but any tips would be gratefully received !

There are good concentrations down the line of the new autoroute - between Aire sur Adour and Pau. Watch any posts alongside the 'peage'.

A good bet is west of Sarron at Lac Miramont not far south of Aire Sur Adour.

Otherwise Pau airport - Uzein end.

Thanks a lot. Really useful (and the WBW tip). We are staying in a gite near Arthez d'Asson south of Pau so hopefully we'll catch up with some good birds. Hopefully also Cat C Red-billed Leiothrix (although Black-shouldered Kite would thrill me much more despite having seen them before in Spain, Portugal and Tunisia!!)

I guess we are a little east of the main WBW range but looking at the map there seems to be large areas of forest with no roads between us and the Foret d'Isseaux! We will go exploring and I have the IGN 1:25000 maps.

We'll also head up into the mountains in search of Lammergeier and the rest.

Thanks again for the tips.

Sent you a PM before read this but you are well placed for the Soulor here and the col de Spandelles. Head for high beach woods preferably north facing and the damper the better - look for woods with dead stuff and moss...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back