• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds around Nice/Cannes/Monaco area (1 Viewer)

Finbirder

Hi

I will be in Nice for a week in early october on a city holiday with wife and small baby. We are visiting also Cannes and Monaco but not able to go to good birding places further away like Camarque or Crau. Any tips for easy accessible birding places around Nice? I have read that Var river right next to airport is good. Is it possible to see birds from the airport side of the river also?

I would be interested to see some species I'm missing, so any advice for good places to spot following birds are appreciated:

-yelkouan shearwater
-indian silverbill
-lovebirds (where exactly in St.Jean Cap Ferrat?)
-crag martin (Var?)
-gull-billed tern
-citril finch
-cirl bunting
-squacco heron
-booted eagle

Regards
Finbirder

Hi Finbirder

will you come by airplane*? If so there is an opportunity (which is not the best one) to tick Indian Silverbill and Crag Martin from Terminal 2. If you arrive from Terminal 1 take the blue free shuttle bus for Terminal 2. Then go out of the Terminal and look soon for Crag Martins where these are present all year long (i’m working on the Airport...) this species breeds underneath the structural concrete (<- ‘structure en béton’ in french). You can also do a short walk in the P5 carpark in front of the exit door of the Terminal 2. In the driveways with bamboos listen for Siverbills as they are also present all year round.
For the river Var nearby the airport you can birdwatch from the path of the eastern part of the airport, but few birders do that due to expensive parking fees. Just in case it is most rewarding in the moorning as the light is best. Otherwise go to the south carpark of Cap 3000 on the other side of the river, in the afternoon for the light. You will also get Crag Martin and Indian Silverbill along the dam before the bridge (near the bridge for Crag M).

No way for Gull-billed tern or Squacco Heron*: it is too late and these are very rarely seen in post-breeding period in the area*! But who knows*?

For Fisher Lovebird in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat position you in front of the bakery in avenue Vignon (one of the main street). Carpark available not far near the port.

For Citril Finch I have no good idea to suggest you any point in october as it is a widely wanderer in southern Alps. Do not expect it near the coast.

Cirl Bunting*: I wondered what could be the best for you. Hum, may be try to go to Saint-Jeannet rather closed from the coast. For the family discovering the village would be amazing. If you can do some walk toward the ‘Baou de Saint-Jeannet’ a steep path, but you don’t have to do much effort as the Cirl Bunting is living around the village. Problem is that the bunting is not singing on top of trees in october.

Finally for Booted Eagle I recommand you a spot for raptorwatching, Le Fort de la Revère. Closed to Monaco. According to what has been by the time it seems to be a goodyear for it*! Location :http://www.faune-paca.org/index.php?m_id=52&id=17987 Going to le Parc Départemantal de la Grande Corniche and follow the path towards East to reach the observation post surveyed by LPO.

Any more questions i'll try to answer.
Pascal

I had some time to kill once at the airport so went to the beach (I think just west of the runway). There is a small river separating the airport the beach. I found Silverbill here easily.

Booted Eagle are pretty much on peak migration at that time so keep you eyes on the skies! Also any beach trips take the scope. Depending on the winds you could geet Shearwater and some terns passing (do your homework on White Winged Black Tern - this is about the best place in France for them at this time of year ) - just have to cross fingers... Perhaps Cap D'Antibes could be an option. If not le Village of Biot (just short of Antibes) is very pretty and worth a walk.

Thanks so much for informative replys Pascal and rosbifs! We are arriving by plane to terminal 2 and dont have a car so first stop is probably right outdoors from airport :)

Indian Silverbill is now common in Cannes. You can even see them in the trees outside McDonald's and the bar called the Grand Cafe opposite the main conference centre at the port. They are also easy to see up by the castle.

Thanks once again for the advice. indian silverbills and crag martins has been quite numerous around Nice, Cannes and Antibes. Both seen daily, also a CM in Monaco harbor. in Cap Ferrat the lovebirds were easy to find now that I knew the right place :) no shearwaters spotted at the sea.

St.Jeannet was great! I missed cirl buntings but saw 6 migrating booted eagles in row, a honey buzzard and two falcos present at the hill further away (tinnunculus maybe?). Also green woodpecker was heard. Very satisfying for a non birding trip!

I was in this area last week and also had Indian Silverbill in trees next to the old port, just outside Antibes old town. The Fischer's Lovebirds were also easy for me at St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, in palm trees outside the cafe overlooking the harbour. But beware there seemed to be hybrids of this species and Masked Lovebirds, as well as the genuine article in the area too! Ring-necked Parakeets were seen at Juan-les-Pins and Antibes station. Had Crag Martins in a number of places including Monaco and Pallid Swifts in a couple of spots too. Don't know how common they are, but Crested Tit was easy in Jardins de la Pinede in Juan-les-Pins. Also had a Cory's (Scopoli's) Shearwater off Eze Bord de Mer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back