• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hotspots in Adelaide (1 Viewer)

Garganey

Anybody know any good spots around Adelaide SA ? Managed to find good birds elsewhere in Oz but only had brief visit to Adelaide, hope to get a few days there in jan 2007.

any info would be great

best regards

Garganey

Garganey said:
Anybody know any good spots around Adelaide SA ? Managed to find good birds elsewhere in Oz but only had brief visit to Adelaide, hope to get a few days there in jan 2007.

any info would be great

best regards

Garganey
Garganey, once you get to Adelaide you are only a couple of hours' drive from the Coorong. If that's too far, there are some beautiful places, deliberately maintained as wild environments, and reachable by city transport, within or close to the city limits.

Kangaroo Island is a bus trip and a ferry trip from Adelaide.

Also south of the city are the lower Murray River lakes and wetlands.

If you are driving yourself, the Fleurieu Peninsula is close to Adelaide, and has a range of environments.

Some distance further away, to the north, are the Flinders Ranges and the desert environments around Lake Eyre - but this area is extremely hot in January.

East of the city are the Murray River environments.

These are just a few places off the top of my head. Later today I'll try to give you something more detailed. Certainly, whatever your mode of transport, financial situation and time limits, there'll be no shortage of birding environments. The rest is up to the birds.

As it's January, and the summer school holidays will still be on, you may need to book accomodation in advance, and if you're planning to do your birding close to any facilities, you may need to take into consideration the possibility of crowds, perhaps with kids and dogs.

Adelaide Hotspots

Hiya, thank you for such a quick response, I will probably be relying on public transport, it is very good in OZ. January I know is not the ideal time to visit but anytime is better than never, are the ferries easy to get to from the cbd ?

regards

Garganey

Garganey said:
Hiya, thank you for such a quick response, I will probably be relying on public transport, it is very good in OZ. January I know is not the ideal time to visit but anytime is better than never, are the ferries easy to get to from the cbd ?

regards

Garganey
From the CBD you have to take a bus to Cape Jervis, then catch a ferry to Kangaroo Island (known locally just as KI) from there. There have been some changes with the ferries since last I looked, so I'll get back to you with updated advice. There was one that went from the city, but I'm fairly sure that one folded - there have been plenty of dramas with the KI ferries.

Let me know which areas you're hoping to go to and I'll find out what sort of transport is available to them. Closer to the time it will be easier to tell you what birds are around too.

Cheers, Rose.

Try this weblink:
http://www.birdssa.asn.au/birdingsites.htm

A bit of car hire would greatly enhance your chances of seeing a wider range of birds and habitats (I did Adelaide on public transport for a while, and it's do-able, but limiting). Would heartily endorse the following locations:

Swan Reach Conservation Park - lots of mallee goodies including white-winged and splendid fairy wrens, southern scrub-robin, chestnut-crowned and white-browed babblers, Gilbert's whistler, etc.

Altona CSR Landcare Reserve (in the Barossa) - totally overlooked restored former quarry and great for a sack-full of declining woodland species - rainbow bee-eater, restless flycatcher, diamond firetail;

Sandy Creek CP (also Barossa) - good diamond firetail site;

Scott CP - lovely site N of Goolwa - great for honeyeaters (brown-headed, white-naped), brown treecreeper, YTB Cockatoo;

Onkaparinga wetlands - due S of Adelaide. Crakes, rails, occasional painted snipe;

Scott Creek CP - good woodland site, with Bassian Thrush and occasional Beautiful firetail;

Certainly the buses are okay for both Blackhill NP (chestnut-rumped heathwren possible) and Morialta NP (general woodland birds and peregrines) - ask at the Department of Environemnt offices at Black hill for walking routes

have fun,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back