• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax DCF SP / Minox BD BR (1 Viewer)

Greetings!

Marko_ said:
Which one is optically better, Pentax 8x32 DCF SP or Minox BD 8x32 BR ?

Marko

I don't know if this answers your question, but I've owned both, and I still own the Minox.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

I don't know if this answers your question, but I've owned both, and I still own the Minox.

Best wishes,
Bawko

I think it does, Thank You!

Is there anything more you could tell me about the two? Or at least the Minox?

Greetings!

Marko_ said:
I think it does, Thank You!

Is there anything more you could tell me about the two? Or at least the Minox?

Sure... I have plenty to say about both binoculars.
First off, the Minox never really impressed me much until I owned a pair. The only reason I purchased them is that a local dealer was closing out their entire binocular inventory (with the exception of Leica, unfortunately!) and he had a pair of Minox 8x32 marked 60% off. I purchased them PURELY as an investment, planning on re-selling them at a profit within a few weeks. At the time, I already owned plenty of 8x32's from other manufacturers, including Nikon HG, the Pentax DCF SP's, an inexpensive pair of Brunton Echo's, and several others. So, I really didn't need or want another pair of 8x32's - and the Minox ended up in my collection only as a rapid-turnaround investment to fund other binocular purchases.

Anyway, I made the mistake of taking them out birding. The first thing I noticed was that the field of view was exceptional - bested only by my Nikon HG 8x32's. The image was clean and bright, with minimal edge distortion. I liked them so much I did an extensive comparison with my other 8x32's, and while I found the Nikon had a better overall image, the Minox seemed to be (at least to my eyes) better than my other 8x32 optics. My first impression of the "heaviness" of the Minox was rapidly dispelled when compared to my other 8x32's, and I realized that it was actually the compact nature of the "weight" that gave the illusion of heaviness... in fact they were no more difficult to handle and carry around than my other models (and in the case of the Nikon HG's, a bit lighter!).

I liked the Pentax quite a bit, but they never really inspired me with their build quality. Even though they are green rubber armored and look like they're built like a tank, in reality they are not as rugged as could be desired. Optically, they are very good - just not on par with the Minox or Nikon optics. I still own a pair of Pentax (the 10x50 configuration DCF SP's) and they are my favorite low-light and astronomical binoculars... so I am not bashing Pentax by any means.

Since I decided to keep the Minox and sell the Pentax 8x32's instead, I've treated the Minox somewhat roughly. They are my "carry everywhere, all the time" binoculars that I keep in my daypack or Filson bag (depending on which I am carrying on any particular day) and they've received quite a bit of rough treatment. I've dropped them at least 5 times since buying them, once onto concrete from a picnic table... and they just keep on working and flawlessly bringing the birds closer. There isn't much higher praise that I could give them!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Hey...you mentioned the Pentax,(i own the ED version,but it seems to have identical body style),to be armored and seeming to be build like a tank,BUT IN REALITY not to be as roughed though..WHAT is your experience with them?..Did they failed on you?...MY pair seem VERY robust( now i am not going to drop them onto concrete to make a point!!!)
THANKS

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back