• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Editing RAW images advice needed. (1 Viewer)

Bringing LR3 into the thread wasn't really fair as the OP has bought elements 7 so ignore that bit Max.
If you are struggling to get your head round all things RAW you're more than welcome to pop round to my house with a memory card of shots and we can sort out a workflow for you. It would take far less time than explaining it on here!

Thanks again everyone.Interesting stuff.

Yesterday in a hide the subject of RAW/JPEG came up and one photographer said "If you are putting your pictures on the net you are wasting your time using RAW as you have to convert to JPEG to post them"

So does this mean after editing your shot in RAW and then converting to JPEG to put on your website all your efforts are wasted and you might well have used JPEG from the start?

Max.
Max, that Photographers was is missing the whole point to shooting in RAW - you use RAW to enable you to produce a better jpeg image (or Tiff). Whatever format you end up in you have to convert the RAW as it is not a usable format in itself.

Max, that Photographers was is missing the whole point to shooting in RAW - you use RAW to enable you to produce a better jpeg image (or Tiff). Whatever format you end up in you have to convert the RAW as it is not a usable format in itself.

Totally agree! The guy hasn't got a clue about RAW files and workflow

Last edited:
Keith....I think you have misread what I wrote and developed a blind spot for the smileys;)
No - but I've got ""animated gifs" turned off in my browser and only see the "laugh bounce" smiley in its initial grumpy state!

That's why I don't choose animated smileys!

;)

Whether or not it's elitist though Adrian, I really do think it's a very fair assumption that many or most serious (whatever that means) photographers use RAW, simply because of the increased options it delivers for bringing the maximum quality out of the image file. And there isn't any debate about that advantage.
However you have inferred, correct me if I am wrong, that the best can only be achieved by shooting RAW.
I'm saying that a RAW file gives you the best chance of getting the best out of the image.
Your argument goes down the toilet somewhat when there are jpeg shooters winnning top awards, yes there are some out there: Steve Young is one of them.
It doesn't go down the toilet at all. Steve's image really isn't about "image quality" per se so much as it is about capturing a moment - I freely admit that shooting it in RAW probably won't have made a huge difference for that image because it doesn't look like it was in particularly challenging light conditions. But if it'd been in bright light and the whites on the bird were blown to bits, it would then be much easier to deal with in RAW.

As an aside, I've got old Birdwatch mags where Steve Young acknowledges the advantages of shooting in RAW, so if he's shooting jpeg now it isn't because he doesn't accept the potential advantages of RAW.

As a further aside, I've seen quite a few of Steve's images, online and in Birdwatch, and they've pretty much all looked rather "flat" - I get the sense that he often chooses to shoot in light conditions that don't push the relatively limited dynamic range available to jpeg.

I had the pleasure of photographing with another, his name escapes me for the moment, he won an international award when he had photographed seals being culled in Canada...just think, photographing snow in jpeg, it's impossible isn't it:-O.
Winning photography awards is no proof of the advantage of one file format over another Adrian - and don't forget either that the two examples you've been able to quote hardly add up to an avalanche of evidence for your case. As for shooting in snow, you're choosing to inaccurately characterize the point I'm making. It might not be impossible to shoot snowy situations in jpeg, but it's a damn' sight easier to do in RAW.

And - again - with subject matter like that, it wouldn't have mattered if he'd captured the scene on a Polaroid or a Lomo - the content, not the image quality, would be the point of that image.
I am sorry if you are offended by my thinking a lot of stuff on the internet is anal
Honestly, I'm just disappointed rather than offended, Adrian - it's simply a very unhelpful observation, apparently based more on a personal prejudice than anything else. Max is asking an honest question about an area of his photography that can provide real improvements, and to suggest that an interest in the world of RAW converters is "anal" is likely to be very - and unfairly - discouraging.
Perhaps the OP should just examine closely why he should change as though the pressure from RAW shooters is not enough:-O
There are no Real World disadvantages to the use of RAW and undeniable benefits, Adrian - there's simply no good reason not to.

Here's another advantage of RAW which I and many other RAW shooters positively revel in: as RAW conversion software and the demosaicing algorithms in them improve, it is a really satisfying kick to revisit old RAWs and re-convert them in a new program or a new version of an existing converter - the improved image quality that frequently results gives a new lease of life to old images that might not quite have made the cut previously, and makes already good images even better.

The bottom line for me and other RAW advocates - Max, are you still reading? It all boils down to this - is that we've satisfied ourselves that real advantages exist to shooting in RAW. On the (safe) assumption that we're not idiots to a man, it is also reasonable to assume that we've made this choice because we can see the benefits of doing so.

Here's a very accurate summary of why RAW is a good idea. If none of this persuades a given photographer, that's dandy: but it doesn't make it less true.

Last edited:
Totally agree! The guy hasn't got a clue about RAW files and workflow

Neither have I. I just do what I'm happy doing that enables me to produce images that I myself am happy with and I couldn't give a rat's left testacle what the rest of the world does with their images, that's their business not mine and I believe that's what Adrian was suggesting.

Adrian is quite right in my view that there are too many people on the internet and elsewhere taking an elitist view (and I'm not accusing anyone on this thread BTW before I get berated) that RAW is the only way to go if you're serious about bird photography, I fell victim to this ethos a while ago and was in the exact same position as Max is in now but here I am today still shooting RAW. Why?

Well nowadays I shoot fully manual because I got fed up with AV letting me down at crucial moments and all in all I've been a lot happier but because I set my own exposures I'd say 99% of the time I get it wrong but thankfully not so wrong that I can't get a decent end result out of it and shooting RAW helps me with that. Also as Paul mentioned the ability to alter the white balance in PP is also a major help in getting the image to look how you want it look. If I was a good enough tog to get it right in camera I'd probably shoot JPEG, lord knows as Adrian does my hard drive would thank me for it and I'd have not had to shell out on external hard drives (backing up reasons not withstanding) which is what I've just done.
Yet, if it's white birds you're dealing with or birds that have a lot of white in them that are fully lit up by the sun then IMHO RAW is invaluable as has been shown by me and Keith in this thread but it's not the be all and end all of bird photography by any means. I can actually see it being a big hinderance for many people using the newer bodies with loads of MP, especially if they're switching from jpeg, when their buffers quickly run out whilst in the middle of photographing something. I sometimes found even my 40D buffer would fill up quite quickly shooting an action sequence in RAW. One of the reasons I chose a MKIII over a 7D but that's another thread. ;)

Bottom line AS I SEE IT Max is you've got the software now so you may as well use it and have a go with RAW and then you can make the decision for yourself if you think it's the right move for you or not. You shouldn't be peer pressured into having the decision made for you.

OK, here's what it boils right down to for me when you strip away all the "what if?"s, personal preferences and specific use cases.

The likelihood that shooting in jpeg will result in a better finished image than if you'd taken the shot in RAW, is remote in the extreme (in fact I can't see how it could possibly happen): but there is no doubt whatsoever that shooting RAW can provide a better end result than if you'd shot in jpeg, if for no other reason than that the jpeg shooter starts with as much image data to work with as the RAW shooter ends up with when he's all done and dusted.

There can never be a situation where that's not A Good Thing.

Objectively, logically, demonstrably, there's absolutely no question about this, and for this reason alone, RAW is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. No matter how well a camera might convert a RAW file, we can do it better.

Don't forget that all the files that come off the camera start off as RAW, and are either converted by a relatively pokey on-camera processor and cut-down RAW conversion/jpeg engine, or converted by the user.

I'm damn' sure I can make better conversions for my intended purposes, with my powerful computer, calibrated monitor and choice of RAW converters - including a close approximation of what the camera itself uses as its jpeg engine, which might or might not be the best one for the purpose (and often isn't) - than the camera itself can.

I just can't for the life of me see a good reason to leave such an important part of the process of getting the best result I can, in the hands of the camera, when it's so easy... and quick... and low in overhead (you can get 2tb hard drives for under £80, and decent-sized CF cards are cheap enough).... and satisfying, to use RAW.

To my mind, the only obvious situation where shooting jpeg makes sense is if the photographer intends to do no PP whatsoever.

But as soon as you open a SOOC jpeg in Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, The Gimp or whatever, you may as well have shot the picture in RAW, because the RAW conversion stage is a trivial addition to the post-processing workflow, and it will almost certainly make subsequent work on the jpeg easier and more effective.

If you're going to PP anyway, you might as well add a RAW conversion step to your workflow and start your "tweaking" on a version of the file that has (by far) the most useful data in it. In terms of getting the best out of the image that's a no-brainer, really.

Last edited:
In addition to all the points above (especially that raw conversion is improving and improves your old shots).
I use raw for the following benefits in order of how important they are for me...

White balance - A camera can never be trusted fully on auto to get it right and it can often be a complete nightmare to get rid of wrong white balances and tints in jpg. I don't want to spend time setting up a custom white balance every time the light or scene changes... i want to focus on the subject and getting the photo.

Exposure - I always try to push the whites/exposure right to the far right of the histogram, which for me gives significantly better noise performance than jpg. Doing this in jpg mode will often render blacks as grey etc in the jpg file. If the exposure goes slightly over the top (which i don't manage to do very often) i can correct it.
I can even make a slightly HDR exposure from one raw file if the difference in contrast between areas in the photo is the only thing spoiling it (taking a jpg of that scene would be pointless in extreme cases).

Exposure #2 - highlight alert on camera review (the flashing areas) don't show when a certain colour channel is blown. This can often happen even though the general exposure isn't even near the right extreme of the histogram. Raw let's me recover the detail in that channel.

I just love raw. It's pretty much the digital equivalent of having the negatives to develop and work on to make prints, compared to having a printed out photo you have to make copies of to make prints.
The main point of it for me is just the practicality of getting the shot.

Last edited:
I am reading this thread with a certain amount of disbelief. Probably for 9 out of 10 images you might as well shoot JPEG but what about the tenth? The idea that RAW is either harder or expensive is nonsense. Use the free software with your camera and if you can use PS Elements or equivalent - or frankly even if you can't - it is easy to use. As has already been said there is more room for error if you use RAW. Maybe if I was as good at photography as Steve Young I'd return to JPEGs but I'm not so I won't. Feel free to carry on using JPEGs if you want. But why? Sheer bloody minded stubbornness? I mostly used JPEGs on a recent trip to Africa because with a 15MP camera the number of cards I needed for several thousand RAW shots would have been crazy. But in tricky light of for a picture that I thought was going to be extra special - e.g. when a caracal was looking like it was about to come down to drink - I changed to RAW.

Absolutely. I want to have as low a chance of failure as possible when a once in a life-time shot situation comes about.

I firmly believe choosing raw is part of getting the absolute maximum you can out of your photography.

I am reading this thread with a certain amount of disbelief. Probably for 9 out of 10 images you might as well shoot JPEG but what about the tenth? The idea that RAW is either harder or expensive is nonsense. Use the free software with your camera and if you can use PS Elements or equivalent - or frankly even if you can't - it is easy to use. As has already been said there is more room for error if you use RAW. Maybe if I was as good at photography as Steve Young I'd return to JPEGs but I'm not so I won't. Feel free to carry on using JPEGs if you want. But why? Sheer bloody minded stubbornness? I mostly used JPEGs on a recent trip to Africa because with a 15MP camera the number of cards I needed for several thousand RAW shots would have been crazy. But in tricky light of for a picture that I thought was going to be extra special - e.g. when a caracal was looking like it was about to come down to drink - I changed to RAW.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.I am going to give RAW a really good go and I am enjoying trying to master Elements 7.

Paul Goode : Thanks for the offer Paul.I might have to take you up if I fail to master Elements on my own.

Max.

Personnally I don't shoot to the right, or intentionally blow the highlights. I've tried this, but have never really seen the benifit in the final image compared to what I usually do, which is to get the histogram in the centre. I also have difficulty in processing that sort of image.

You also take the risk of going too far, or lowering the shutter speed so that you get more motion blur.

Very interesting, if sometimes intense, thread!

I want to experiment with RAW on images from on my EOS7D, especially as I think it can store RAW + jpeg at the same time. Can anyone advise what common editing tasks are best carried out in the RAW editor and which in Photoshop Elements? For example, are overall image changes better in RAW and specific detail changes (such as under-exposed darker areas) better in jpeg?

Alos, any observations on the Canon RAW editor versus others (for ease of use by a newbie) appreciated.

Michael.

Very interesting, if sometimes intense, thread!

I want to experiment with RAW on images from on my EOS7D, especially as I think it can store RAW + jpeg at the same time. Can anyone advise what common editing tasks are best carried out in the RAW editor and which in Photoshop Elements? For example, are overall image changes better in RAW and specific detail changes (such as under-exposed darker areas) better in jpeg?

Alos, any observations on the Canon RAW editor versus others (for ease of use by a newbie) appreciated.

Michael.

I use Lightroom 3 and do pretty well all my editing in it. Only problematic images get hauled into photoshop nowadays. I use to think it was compulsory to work on layers within photoshop but I was wrong and just using Lightroom doesn't half save some time! I get to see my wife and son again ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back