• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting scope for M4/3 digiscoping (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I almost posted this in the Panasonic thread, but I guess it goes better here. The micro-4/3 rumours site (www.43rumors.com) has just posted news of a 12-36x50 scope for use with M4/3 cameras -

"SLRmagic announced a new digiscoping solution for micro four thirds bird watchers. With this solution micro four thirds users may easily take photos or video of birds at great distances. The current options by other brands with ED glass offerings cost from $1000-$5000. The longest micro four thirds lens for now only reach 300mm and cost between $500-700. The SLR Magic will be a 12-36×50 ED Spotting Scope. The photo of the Flamingo is shot at 420mm and the photo of the bird is taken at 840mm. The lens will be released in October for $250 and SLR Magic 12-35×50 ED spotting scope for micro four thirds should be released in November for $400".

I'm really not quite sure what to make of it. I've no idea who SLRmagic are or what sort of instrument they are about to launch. No photos or further details appear to be available and I can't find a site for them. The price seems modest for 'quality' equipment though. Comments/observations welcome.

I was seriously considering ordering the Panasonic 100-300 (=200-600) lens this w/e but should I wait? I'd probably be still more interested had I not purchased the Nikon 50mm scope last November.

Last edited:
I almost posted this in the Panasonic thread, but I guess it goes better here. The micro-4/3 rumours site (www.43rumors.com) has just posted news of a 12-36x50 scope for use with M4/3 cameras -

"SLRmagic announced a new digiscoping solution for micro four thirds bird watchers. With this solution micro four thirds users may easily take photos or video of birds at great distances. The current options by other brands with ED glass offerings cost from $1000-$5000. The longest micro four thirds lens for now only reach 300mm and cost between $500-700. The SLR Magic will be a 12-36×50 ED Spotting Scope. The photo of the Flamingo is shot at 420mm and the photo of the bird is taken at 840mm. The lens will be released in October for $250 and SLR Magic 12-35×50 ED spotting scope for micro four thirds should be released in November for $400".

I'm really not quite sure what to make of it. I've no idea who SLTmagic are or what sort of instrument they are about to launch. No photos or further details appear to be available and I can't find a site for them. The price seems modest for 'quality' equipment though. Comments/observations welcome.

I was seriously considering ordering the Panasonic 100-300 (=200-600) lens this w/e but should I wait? I'd probably be still more interested had I not purchased the Nikon 50mm scope last November.

Thanks for posting this John. It would be nice if they just designed an adapter for use on current scopes. I tried digiscoping with my Nikon ED50 and the G3 with kit lens but it was rubbish (wrong lens, no adapter etc etc). I'll keep an eye on this though,
Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back