• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 773 vs 883 and Swaro ATS80 HD with 20-60X best choice? (1 Viewer)

haakmann43

Hi

I am new to this forum, and hopped somone out there could help me with finding the best of these 3 scopes:

Kowa 773 with 20-60x:
+ About £400 cheaper than 883
+ 200 grams lighter
+ 2.5 cm shorter

- A bit darker than 883

Kowa 883 with 20-60x:
+ very bright and crisp

- Price, weight, size

I could get the outgoing Swaro ATS 80HD for about the same price as 883 with a 20-60x. But I understand that from reviews like this one: http://www.optics4birding.com/kowa-tsn-773-spotting-scope-review.aspx
the Swaro is not as bright as the Kowa. But it can handle more rough treatment and -20C birding.

Thanks for advise

Haakon
Norway

Hi,

773 and 883 are about the same size and the weight difference is not great either. Kris is right, get 883 if you can afford it! It's the best scope out there, IMO.

Regards,

Maciek

No I have not, I think if you can afford it you should get the 883.

However I got the ats65HD and I am very happy with the smaller size and HD glas. I chose between ats80 or ats65HD, I went for smaller and HD instead of bigger and non hd since I could not afford ats80hd. But if you got the cash, easy choice ;)

Have you tried the 773?

Some people mention rare-heavy and low depth of field as a minus on the 773.

Any idea how the depth of field are on the 883?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back