• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10X42L IS Pros/cons... (2 Viewers)

Hello all. I''ve had months of wonderful birding with these Canon binoculars HOWEVER I've got a big problem with them and would appreciate suggestions. The focusing which was always silky smooth has become over the last two outings notchy all through the focusing range. I'm the only user and they have always been very carefully treated.
Cheers
Richard

Richard,
Maybe some dirt got into the focus mechanism?

Thanks for the suggestion however I wonder how could this happen to a waterproof instrument such as this though it is a logical explanation. It feels almost as if there is a very soft operating click stop mechanism in operation is the best way I can describe the operation. not very nice!:-C

Cheers

Richard

A piece of grit or sand may be between the focusing wheel and the body.
It might free itself or break up if this is the problem.
Or it may need to go back to Canon for attention.
It is I think still under warranty?

A piece of grit or sand may be between the focusing wheel and the body.
It might free itself or break up if this is the problem.
Or it may need to go back to Canon for attention.
It is I think still under warranty?

Thanks. I've just spent a bit of time running the focus back and forwards and it is now a bit smoother but it is still a bit stiff, not hugely but not as it was a few weeks ago when it seemed so light and smooth. Yes it is still under guarantee as I only bought this pair about four months ago.

Cheers Richard

OK guys an update for anyone interested. The binoculars have arrived back from my supplier Clifton Cameras after having been checked, cleaned and adjusted I gather by Canon in the UK. Unfortunately whilst there MIGHT be a very tiny improvement they are still much as before they were returned to Canon. In other words bit notchy and stiff and not the silky smooth focusing that they previously had up until a couple of weeks before the problem was brought to the attention of the supplier. Actually I'm beginning to suspect that nothing has been done to them when at Canon!

When focusing there is a feeling of gentle click stops, not at consistent intervals which apart from being unnecessary is distracting when tracking a bird across the sky or whatever. I would greatly value what others are experiencing with their Canon 10x42's Has anyone any theory as to what is actually causing the problem in the mechanics if it is not grit or dirt?

Cheers

Richard

Guys, some very concerning news regarding these binoculars that I've had returned a couple of days ago from Canon. As I posted the focusing was much as I sent them back, and yesterday I visited my local bird hide and the focusing was still jerky but a very worrying change was that the IS seemed to be defective which was supported by other birders in the hide.

When the IS button was pressed there was the normal clonk indicating that the IS function was on however rather than arresting all hand tremor it was only partially effective, in fact I frequently had to check that the green indicator light was lit and this was what others felt too. Another concern was that for the first time ever I was once or twice aware of servo sound as were other people whilst using the binocular in the hide. Normally when I hand these fine binoculars to others to look through there is a significant WOW and fantastic, but not yesterday! The only positive comments were about the general image sharpness. I'm hoping for a clear night sky in the next few days as this would be a good test of how the IS facility is!

An hour or so later when walking the five minutes back to my car I stopped to look at something and to my amazement the focusing seemed to have returned to how I remember it was before it had got unsatisfactory several weeks ago. Whilst this is great it does of course rather beg the question as to why this instability or inconsistency. An additional observation as that as I was walking away from the hide I felt I was suffering from a degree of eye strain which is something that I have never before experienced even after prolonged use of these binoculars.

All thoughts appreciated before I talk to the shop that supplied them a few months ago!

Cheers Richard

Last edited:
Richard.
Try it when you are rested for two or three days, before deciding whether the problem is temporary or not.
You still have the warranty and a calm appraisal is needed.
It may be they did indeed work on it at Canon, maybe not.

Another thing. Have you tried brand new batteries? Sometimes they go peculiar due to partly used batteries.

I wondered if you could slip some paper between the focus knob and housing to see if there is a piece of grit. But it could have broken up if that is what it was.

Did you use it on a beach where sand could have got in?

I'd second Binastro's suggestion to check the batteries.
My 10x42, powered by rechargeables, began exhibiting similar symptoms. The IS was restored to better functionality by using lithium throwaways. These have slightly higher voltage, which seems to agree better with the IS electronics.

Unfortunately that recovery only lasted for a little while and eventually the IS module had to be repaired/replaced. Canon service did a good job and the glass is again working properly, but I'm sticking with lithium throwaways now.

My 10x42, powered by rechargeables, began exhibiting similar symptoms. The IS was restored to better functionality by using lithium throwaways. These have slightly higher voltage, which seems to agree better with the IS electronics.

Unfortunately that recovery only lasted for a little while and eventually the IS module had to be repaired/replaced. Canon service did a good job and the glass is again working properly, but I'm sticking with lithium throwaways now.

:t:

Richard.
Try it when you are rested for two or three days, before deciding whether the problem is temporary or not.
You still have the warranty and a calm appraisal is needed.
It may be they did indeed work on it at Canon, maybe not.

Another thing. Have you tried brand new batteries? Sometimes they go peculiar due to partly used batteries.

I wondered if you could slip some paper between the focus knob and housing to see if there is a piece of grit. But it could have broken up if that is what it was.

Did you use it on a beach where sand could have got in?

Dear Binastro

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I've just tried the paper idea and it does seem to have cleared the focus roughness issue unless it was a fluke! I have not used them on the beach but I have used them on the esplanade and there is sand just beyond but I've not been aware of wind blown sand. I've changed the batteries with two new sets and the IS is still only partially working.

The IS not functioning correctly is a big concern obviously especially given that these binoculars are so young and have always been carefully used and stored and the reviews that I've read say how robustly built they are. Apart from one mention they seem to be very reliable as regards to the IS system.

When I packaged them up to go back to Canon for attention to the focusing the IS function was working fine so either they have upset them or the IS system is quite easily damaged. I used the same good packaging that Clifton Cameras sent them to me some months ago so they should have been fine.

The servo motor sound I mentioned in my earlier post has not happened again and I wonder if the poor IS operation could be the result of only one of the two servos working? I read somewhere that there are two of these servos responsible for the IS function but I've not been able to find any drawings of the internals of these binoculars so am a bit in the dark!

Cheers

Richard

PS it would be good to be able to do a direct comparison with a pair of these binoculars to see what the difference is rather than just relying on my memory but unfortunately I do not know anyone on the Isle of Wight with a pair.

Dear Etudiant

Many thanks for chipping in. I really do appreciate you guy's knowlegable suggestions.

I think is was you who suggested using these lithium batteries some months ago and I bought several sets straight away. The first set is still in use with a spare set kept in the case!

I'm very relieved to read that you have had a good service experience from Canon.

Cheers

Richard

Oh dear I spoke too soon! Checked again and the focus has now gone back to what it was when sent to canon and received back and the paper trick does nothing now so I'm rather stumped except to say that this level of instability is not looking good.

Cheers

Richard

Dear Etudiant

I'm very relieved to read that you have had a good service experience from Canon.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

My service was done in the US and did take a couple of iterations before everything was properly sorted.
Cost was a bit over $500, high enough that I would have just bought a new one instead had the price then been down to $1050 as it is now.
My impression is that Canon binoculars are a bit a 'rara avis' in the Canon product line, so service is less routine than for the normal lenses and camera bodies.
I assume you've tried soaking the glass in a bucket of cold water. That is the Canon recommendation for cleaning off salt deposits from ocean visits. Perhaps it might help with a grit issue as well.
Lastly, have you checked the status of your batteries? Lithiums stay strong until the very end, but then they drop quite sharply.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

Last edited:
Dear Etudiant

Many thanks for your reply. I've swapped out the batteries with my spare set of lithium batteries and a set of Duracell batteries and no improvement to the operation of the IS.

I'm a bit reluctant to plunge the binoculars into water as they have not had sea spray on them though of course being anywhere close to the coast is a danger, and the problem with the focus makes me think that this is an internal rather then being an external issue as over the last couple of days it has changed from being jerky and stiff to the silky smoothness it was for the first few months, even though the binoculars have been sitting on the living room table since returning from the visit to the bird hide on Sunday afternoon.

EDIT. I've just thrown caution to the winds and have run some dental floss around the focus spindle and followed it up with some warm water and then dried it all off with filtered low pressure compressed air and the problem has gone away for the moment, so everything is crossed that this has solved this annoying problem. You can be sure that I will keep the forum posted.

SECOND EDIT THIRTY MINUTES LATER. The unsmooth focus problem has re-appeared so my remedial actions were just short term which is strange! I've also tried running my fingers over the focus knob to mimic use but it does not alter things. At the moment I'm at a loss to understand what is going on but sense that the problem is internal. I will wait a little while before contacting the suppliers in case anyone can come up with further suggestions.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
It looks like it is time to send it back to Canon so they can have another go at it. I think only Canon can fix the IS issues introduced from the first attempt and I doubt there is any advice we can offer at this point to fix the focus roughness. For what it is worth, I do not have any roughness or sticking in my 10X42 L IS focus.

Sorry to be negative, but Canon does not have a good track record in repairing these units, at least from what I have gathered reading various posts on this forum. I am not sure if anyone has reported Canon getting it right the first time. I do recall at least one post where it was never repaired back to original condition. This is for both U.S. and non U.S. members. I suspect the repair people work on a variety of products and do not have the expertise of the people who do the assembly. The binocular is a very complex piece of equipment. I wonder if the world wide repair centers have the special tools and equipment that is most likely used to assemble these binoculars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zNtA4j3Eo

I believe it is still under warranty so give them another chance at a repair. Let them know if it is not right after the second attempt, you would like them to replace it with a new unit. That way they can send the original unit back to Japan and get it fixed for sale as a refurb. Good luck. Sorry you are having these problems as it is a great binocular when all is working properly.

It looks like it is time to send it back to Canon so they can have another go at it. I think only Canon can fix the IS issues introduced from the first attempt and I doubt there is any advice we can offer at this point to fix the focus roughness. For what it is worth, I do not have any roughness or sticking in my 10X42 L IS focus.

Sorry to be negative, but Canon does not have a good track record in repairing these units, at least from what I have gathered reading various posts on this forum. I am not sure if anyone has reported Canon getting it right the first time. I do recall at least one post where it was never repaired back to original condition. This is for both U.S. and non U.S. members. I suspect the repair people work on a variety of products and do not have the expertise of the people who do the assembly. The binocular is a very complex piece of equipment. I wonder if the world wide repair centers have the special tools and equipment that is most likely used to assemble these binoculars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zNtA4j3Eo

I believe it is still under warranty so give them another chance at a repair. Let them know if it is not right after the second attempt, you would like them to replace it with a new unit. That way they can send the original unit back to Japan and get it fixed for sale as a refurb. Good luck. Sorry you are having these problems as it is a great binocular when all is working properly.

Sound advice imho.
It took me several tries before my 10x42 was back in good repair, even though the IS was my only issue.
The impression I did get was that the technicians work against a check list, so hard to quantify flaws such as a sticky focuser get short shrift.

Thanks guys for our thoughts. Thanks for the link, which I found whilst trying to find out as much as possible about these binoculars yesterday. Yes some complex stuff going on to bring us great results...... when all is operating correctly!

I will make contact later today with Clifton Cameras here in the UK who supplied my binoculars and express my very considerable concerns about the IS not working properly and the constantly changing focus operation. I will keep the forum informed as to how this gets resolved.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me.

Cheers Richard

Screw loose?

Perhaps because this morning I popped outside with the binoculars as I was alerted to the iconic sound of a Spitfire overhead and as I was focusing on it the focus jammed solid as if there was something like a screw caught up in the mechanism. It freed up when I applied some pressure but that really was NOT good and may give a clue as to why the focusing is sometimes lovely and smooth and at other times notchy and stiff. Anyhow my letter has gone off to the suppliers by email and I'm now waiting for some response. Cheers Richard

Sound advice imho.
It took me several tries before my 10x42 was back in good repair, even though the IS was my only issue.
The impression I did get was that the technicians work against a check list, so hard to quantify flaws such as a sticky focuser get short shrift.

Dear Etudiant

A reasonably cloud free sky last night here so I had a look through the binoculars to really evaluate how bad the IS was on my 10x42 IS binoculars and the stars were dancing all over the place with the IS on which confirms my normal birding conclusions. Previously before they went back to Canon just to sort out the focusing stiffness the IS held the stars steady as pin points of light.

Cheers

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back