• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Should I carry my kit?! (1 Viewer)

AndyUK

Hi All,

I'm completely new to this, so would be really grateful for any advice you can offer!

I want to carry a simple birding kit out and about (scope, tripod, SLR camera) and can't make my mind up on what style to go for. Is there a "right" answer?

What does everyone else use?

Thanks!

Andy

Hi Andy,
A warm welcome to birdforum from all of us here.
'Simple birding kit'? Sounds like a lot of gear to me...at least you can double up on the tripod.
Is your question aimed at suggestions for luggage? Lowepro seems like a good idea to me. Personally, I use a Lens trekker 600AW with camera and lens inside and 'pod on one side and scope attached on the other.
Hopefully someone else can come back with a non-Lowepro suggestion...they do tend to dominate a bit ;)
Regards,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome aboard!

There is no right or wrong answer. The main point to bear in mind is comfort. You'll soon know it if you carry a scope, tripod and SLR for any distance - especially over rough ground. Another point I always think important is noise. It wont do you much good if you're trying to 'stalk' a bird and your camera equipment is crashing against each other.

I carry a similar amount of equipment as you want to and use a Lowepro backpack similar to this --> http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/trekking/oriontrk.htm

You can put your camera gear in special compartments at the bottom and the top can be used for binoculars or whatever else you want to carry. I find I can 'loop' my tripod through one of the straps on the back of the backpack (although some bags come with straps especially designed to hold a tripod).

For the Field scope I use a SOC from Nikon (it being a Nikon scope).

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Rich.

Edit - just posted this and noticed Andy had already posted a similar response.

Last edited:
I carry a very basic birding kit around with me at all times, secreted in two very useful sockets I located in the front of my face. Anything more fancy than that i tend to use combinations of straps, bags and hands.
lol
James
(I believe that means laugh out loud - not lots of love...)

I tend to end up using a Fiat Panda, saves a lot of back ache and shoulder strain + you can also carry kitchen sink if needed!!!

Someone jokingly I think in another thread suggested a golfing trolley!!!

I am now coming around to the idea...... My back is killing me.......

mickporter said:
Someone jokingly I think in another thread suggested a golfing trolley!!!

I am now coming around to the idea...... My back is killing me.......

Even better, how about a birding Caddie!!! It will give all those none birding partners something to do and good exercise too. Please note though that I did try this approach and was politely told what to do with all my equipment!!

;)

BrianB said:

Yes, and others have done similarly. I know one lady who did the same for hauling around her rather bulky Celestron C5.

I consider this to be something that needs to be adapted to your own personal situation and what it is that you want to do while you are out. Your best solution will probably come from some trial and error.

Personally, I focus on being able to walk just about anywhere and to be able to set up quickly to get on a bird to take a picture. To that end, I assemble my scope and camera on the tripod and carry the scope/tripod/camera under my arm on an old wide SRL strap. The type that was fashionable in the 1980s. I keep the tripod legs extended to a height that allows kneeling to the camera and I keep the legs spread while carrying the scope (the tripod head is near my hip and the legs flare out behind me. The camera is safety strapped to the tripod with a nylon lanyard made for a sports whistle.

I have a small pair of 7x25 nikon binoculars around my neck and I wear a khaki photographer's vest with lots of pockets for carrying CF cards, batteries, cell phone etc. I also carry an extra camera (CP995) and 3x extender in the pockets). My final piece of gear is a foldable three legged chair that I sling across my back with a nylon strap. I sometimes stop and set up in some shade or other obscure area and sit and wait for what might happen by. I carry the three legged folding chair for that purpose. In the summer I also carry a quart of water.

I'm 45 years old and in decent physical shape. So this works for me. I've tried using a backpack and did not like taking it off to get to stuff. Everything is within immediat reach with my current setup, though I'm sure it looks pretty silly. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back