• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why not make your own adapter?????????? (2 Viewers)

Paulyoly

I see a lot of people buying way overpriced adapter for what you get. I plan to make my own adapter out of pvc pipe or aluminum pipe, whatever i can find that will fit snug over the eyepiece, just plan to slide it on and off, is this not possible, am i missing something? i bought a 28mm-37mm step up ring in order to glue it to my adapter. I'm just waiting for my scope and eyepiece to arrive.

How many here have made there adapter, most of these online are to simple for the price. some are to complicated to be practical.

I agree that these off the shelf products are over priced for what they are. As someone who is currently saving up for the camera and nessasary add ons, I would be most interest in how your DIY device works out.

Me too, cause the adapter I am looking at is 160. 00. and I'm not sure I am crazy about all the bolts on it.

KCFoggin said:
Me too, cause the adapter I am looking at is 160. 00. and I'm not sure I am crazy about all the bolts on it.

$160 is insane, you can make anything out of simple parts from homedepot or Ace Hardware, whatever hardware store you have, i'm makeing a cable release bracket for the 990 out of an aluminum shelf bracket, pretty sweet deal for $1.79.

I hope my scope comes tommorrow, i will let you know how it goes, i bought the pentax scope and xl-28 fixed mag eyepiece, surely something will fit on it snug. of course for a straight scope you would need a screw to secure it.

Even for a zoom eyepiece it shouldn't be hard to make the zoom ring available.

I've made several out of PVC pipe and the 28-37 mm. step-up ring; cutting off the 37 mm part to get a close fit to my eyepieces.

I've had much better success with cyanocacrylate (super) glues than with epoxy in the long term holding of the step-up ring to PVC. With super glues it is important to obtain a close fit to the pieces as excess glue has poor strength.

Bob D.

What You folks really need is a friend who either works in CNC engineering or has their own Lathe in a shed somewhere.I should think that they could knock out what is required quite cheaply and all in one piece.
Happy Birding
Peter

A lathe Peter (Pedro)
'to be so lucky' whats wrong with a hacksaw, sandpaper, and a bit of epoxy glue :)
But you are correct a lathe would be handy.
Regards Stan

make yer own adapter

Hi Stan
If you know someone in engineering and you have access to an adapter why not wander along to them(even your local engineering firm) and ask a price to mill an adapter out of a lump of aluminium.I wouldn't mind betting that it won't cost anywhere near what has been quoted in earlier posts.
Regards
Peter B :) B :)

I have just purchased a Canon G3 and already have a Kowa 802, I cannot by any means afford an expensive adapter but I notice that If I hold the camera straight against the eyepiece of the scope it vignettes something chronic, is there a homemdae devive that would be suitable for this kit? I do not own a metal turning lathe (alas, and many times alas too), only a woodturning one, is all that is required just a tube affair that effectively clamps the camera to the euepiece at a give distance, or is it more complex than that? ( I looked at Stans images and that seemed simple enough).

Hi KPG,

I made an adapter myself, just from screwing a step ring for the camera thread to four empty filter mounts. I have the Kowa 823 with a 32x eyepiece and a 49 mm filter mount just fits nicely over the eyepiece. I glued the filters together, but not to the step ring as I use that for other things. I then drilled a hole through the side of the filters and screwed in a tight fitting bolt to act as a locking device. It actually works better than the LCE adapter that I bought.
Here's a photo

Attachments

• home made digiscope adapter.jpg
    home made digiscope adapter.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,032
Hi all, I have gone to local engineering firm (man I know) and he made me two adapters. One plastic for Sony and the other of aluminium for CP 4500. Cost for such one not exceed 10 Euro. Adapters are for Kowa TSN 2 which I am using at the moment. But I must mentioned, that I like much more to make shots with camera handheld not with adapter. It is more practical.

Iztok

Hi all,

You really have no idea how illuminating this thread and the various links has been. I'm about to splash out on the Nikon 4500 to go with my Kowa TSN-1, and was getting in a bit of a flap over the whole adaptor situation.
Lots of great ideas, though as I'm a bit hopeless at 'making stuff', I foresee a long weekend of uttering expletives in the garden shed!

Cheers,

It`s ironic really you get told that a lot of work goes into making a metal tube with 3 screws (setting up lathes etc).Then you find that these tubes are mass produced so in theory the cost should go down.Someone somewhere is making a good profit out of a very simple design,it`s only because most of us dont have access to a lathe & other engineering tools that we are forced to a certain extent to be buy one of these overpriced tubes.Good luck to anybody whose designed their own setup.

Another thing is there are lots of firms with computer aided engineering machinery. They simply punch in the co-ordinates and the machine does all the stuff for them.

Viewing IanF's images of Crested Grebe, Black and Red Grouse, and numerous others, I think Ian has the simplist solution for building an adaptor. I intend to visit my camera shop and see what I can put together. Thanks for the pic of your adaptor Ian!

One tip to save a bit of money if trying out my design. 28mm->49mm (the size of filter holder that I used) are available but cost a fair amount of money. To get around this I used a 28mm->37mm step ring which I glued (Araldite/JB Weld) to the inside of a 37mm-49mm step ring, both of which cost around £4.00, though I already had the latter. An additional reason for doing this is that if you file off the lip of the 37mm end of the 28mm->37mm ring, you get a greater narrowing of the gap between the camera lens and the eyepiece glass - which is I why I get less vignetting with my own design than the LCE adapter.

Hi Folks:
Being a retired machinist/millwright, I made a bracket to hold the scope and also the camera. just visit my site and look at digiscoping, also the rest could be of interest.
I am using a Nikon Coolpix5000 and a Baush & Lomb "ELITE" 80mm ED Glass + 20X60 eyepiece, also a 30X fixed eyepiece.
it is fun :)

cheers
p.s. all done in my garage at home.
Walther
www.walther-loff.com

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back