• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image Rotation (1 Viewer)

dtpavlik

Bugger
Hey Guys,

I was curious if there is a way to fix an image that doesn't have a straight horizon line. I took this picture yesterday, and I like it, but the water is at a slight angle. I'm not sure how to correctly fix this in CS5, if there is a way.

If anyone knows the correct process, I'd love to learn.

Thanks!
David

Attachments

• rtlo-edit.jpg
    rtlo-edit.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 71
Easy as pie. Assuming it's the same or similar to my Elements click on 'image' then 'rotate' and click on custom and straighten it by rotating it left or right (right in this instance) but you only need a couple of degrees. There's also 'straighten' and 'straighten and crop' which does it all for you but best for you to do it all yourself.

Just done a quick one. As you can see you have to crop out the white bits (you may have to save the image to see what I mean) so best to do such a thing very early in your workflow.

Attachments

• rtlo-editEDIT.jpg
    rtlo-editEDIT.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 55
Hey Guys,

I was curious if there is a way to fix an image that doesn't have a straight horizon line. I took this picture yesterday, and I like it, but the water is at a slight angle. I'm not sure how to correctly fix this in CS5, if there is a way.

If anyone knows the correct process, I'd love to learn.

Thanks!
David
I haven't used CS5 but I assume it is the same as CS4. Select the 'ruler' tool which should be in with the 'eyedropper'. Click on one end of a line which should be horizontal (the horizon or the edge of the reeds in your image perhaps), drag across to the other end and release the button. Then go to 'Image', 'Image rotation' and 'arbitrary'. Click OK when the dialog box opens. You may need to crop the image a little to remove any bits of background colour which appear.

Ron

Ok, thanks guys! I tried that before, and it did work, but I didn't like the white areas it created. I didn't think to do it early, and then crop. I'm pretty out of it since I'm in a remote field camp (with internet!) and have been working non stop for the last month and a half. When I get a chance to edit images, my brain shuts off (not a great thing).

You guys are great. Thanks for the help!

Picassa (which is a free download) has a very simple method for straightening horizons. I don't know how it did it, but I didn't have any white spaces on the one picture I've tried it on so far.

D

Another way in CS5 is to select all and then use 'transform' under the edit menu tab which will allow you to rotate as one of the options or use 'free transform' in the same menu which gives you a rotate option as well. You'll always have to recrop or fill in the 'gaps' where the rotation has occured.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back