• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfotto 443 and 501 head? (1 Viewer)

chuckles

I am new to Digiscoping.I have a Leica 62 APO and have purchased a coolpix 4500. Since my own tripod is unsatisfactory to carry the weight of this combination I am looking to get a good tripod and head for digiscoping.

Having read some of the threads on here it seems to me I should be purchasing a Manfrotto 443 carbon tripod and put on it a 501 video head. Have I got the correct idea?
Ray

I also am new to digiscoping and I am considering purchasing a 501 head.I understand that their are two drawbacks,
1. The cost,the cheapest quote I have been given is £125.00 ( Warehouse Express)
2. The weight,apparently it is one of the heaviest heads on the market which is a big disadvantage if your Birding trips involve long hikes.
Apart from these two disadvantages it is supposed to be one or the best heads for Digiscoping.
I shall be interested in seeing whar replies and suggestions you receive
Malcolm

malgos said:
I also am new to digiscoping and I am considering purchasing a 501 head.I understand that their are two drawbacks,
1. The cost,the cheapest quote I have been given is £125.00 ( Warehouse Express)
2. The weight,apparently it is one of the heaviest heads on the market which is a big disadvantage if your Birding trips involve long hikes.
Apart from these two disadvantages it is supposed to be one or the best heads for Digiscoping.
I shall be interested in seeing whar replies and suggestions you receive
Malcolm

I have a 501 head on a Manfrotto 190 tripod. The weight is a disadvantage but compared to a 128RC head the results are much better. The extra weight certainly helps with the stability and steadyness of the setup.

I have recently moved from the 128RC to the 501 head sitting on the Manfrotto 190. The quick release mounting plate for the scope allows longtidudinal travel to help balance the scope/camera combination.
It manages to cope with the additional imbalance I have imposed by attaching the external EC-702 battery pack (from Maplin) to the Nikon 4500 by its tripod bush.
Yes, the 501 is heavier but a smooth dream to use.

Ralphj

Many thanks all. I tried out the above and it really is very good. I am off to purchase from warehouse express who gave the best quotes.
Ray

I originally had a RC1`28 head but found that it tended to drop due to the weight of scope and camera and so swapped to the 501 head. If you are happy to put up with the extra weight of the head the 501 solves all the problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back