• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo vs. Bogen (1 Viewer)

cindy

You know, I thought it was difficult to filter through (and make sense) of all the scope material. Then I decided on a scope and I found out that the tripods/heads are more difficult than the scopes!!! ;-)

Getting on to the question...I have decided on the Pentax PF80-ED. I have also decided on the Bogen3021 tripod. My question is about the head. I have read about the problems with the 3130/128rc and moving up once the camera is attached, so I have narrowed my head choices down to two. The Bogen 501 and the Gitzo 2380. My question is does it really matter that the Bogen only has a 1 year warranty? The Gitzo has a lifetime warranty.

Are both of these heads good enough to hold the Pentax and other digiscoping accessories? Without the movement that has troubled other digiscopers, I mean. I feel I will be lucky to find the bird and get it set up once, much less going through it a second time. I don't have unlimited funds by any means, but I feel that if I buy good equipment in the first place it will save me money (and frustration) in the long run as I won't feel I have to upgrade.

Any comments, thoughts or information would be welcomed about the tripod/heads or the scope choice.

Thank you,
Cindy

Both heads will be more than good enough to keep your scope pointing at the bird with a camera on the end. Though I'd check to see if the Gitzo will fit onto the Bogen/Manfrotto legset.
One year warranty from Bogen seems very stingy to me, the Gitzo is just as competively priced and you'll get plenty of peace of mind. The 501 seems well built to me, so maybe it's not going to be relevant.

Thanks for the reply Andy. I'll check and see if they will match up. Silly me, I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. I didn't realize they were different sizes. Thanks a lot for letting me know.

Cindy,
Rest assured - they are completely compatible.
I think Gitzo 2380 is probably the best videohead for digiscoping (if the weight is not an issue). 501 is very good too, but I feel that the slightly better precision and ergonomics of 2380 justify the higher price. My only complaint is maybe too short and straight panning bar.

Whichever you decide to take, the head is probably more stable than the tripod itself.

Ilkka

iporali said:
Whichever you decide to take, the head is probably more stable than the tripod itself.

Ilkka

Thank you for your response. Do you have any other suggestions for tripods?

Thank you, Cindy

Sorry Cindy - I did not mean 3021 is unstable... :) just that both heads are really great.

Bogen/Manfrotto nomenclature is slightly confusing, but I think Bogen 3021 is the same tripod as Manfrotto #055 which is probably the most popular tripod among digiscopers... and also the one I use myself. I think it is a very good compromise between weight (still quite heavy), stability and the price. If you want the very best, you could try corresponding Gitzo's models (1340 ?), Berlebach's wooden tripods (to minimize vibration), or Bogen/Manfrotto carbon models, but you usually lose some portability or compactness or at least the price becomes much higher.

If you want to make things easy, Bogen 3021 + 501 combo is certainly a safe choice for digiscoping with your Pentax scope. And the Gitzo head - if you ask me - makes it even better.

Best of luck with your purchase and a very happy new year!

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back