• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping Camera Options (1 Viewer)

Upland Birder

Birding On The Edge
Hi all,

I have a Swarovski HD 65 angled scope and a Swarovski DCA zoom adaptor. I am now at the point of looking at compact camera options for digiscoping. I have read about the Nikon P5100 strengths/weaknesses but wish to consider other options as well.

Taking into account that new compact camera's are coming on to the market all the time I would like some advice on other current camera options that are known to be very good/well suited for digiscoping.

It would be helpful to know about positive specifications that make the camera ideal fort this type of photography.

Any info provided before I take the plunge and purchase a camera would be useful and assist me in making up my mind on which one to get.

In regard to any camera commented on can you let me know if in addition I need anything else to attach said camera to DCA.

Happy Birding

Dean:t::t::t:B :)

The cameras being commonly used are discussed in this thread. It takes some time for new cameras to get tested with results posted here but there has not been much improvement in Digiscoping quality over the last couple of years. This is mainly because the manufacturers have switched their efforts to DSLRs and dumped down the little cameras to be "pocketable". I can't get better quality from today's digicams than from my Nikon 8400/Olympus 7070wz and Canon A640. And for low noise you couldn't beat the Fuji F30/31 .
You basically want a 3x zoom digicam ( 35 - 105 mm )with some manual options and low noise sensor so that you can use iso 400 for faster shutter speeds. Other things are nice to have and can improve the digiscoping experience but are not essential ( rotatable screens, RAW,remote control, optical viewfinder, 3 inch screens, long life battery, Custom Memory ).
If you read some of the recent threads you can make up a list which is important to you for the way you will take your photos eg 90% of my digiscoped images of waders are taken from hides and a rotatable screen is important for me as the scope is pointing downwards often so the camera is above my head height when sitting.
The Nikon P5100 and the Canon A590IS are both very good with the Canon having a few more features than the Nikon. You will need the camera adapter with either camera which gives you a 28 or 52 mm thread for the DCA.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your advice. I think I am leaning towards the Nikon P5100. There are so many posts on here about camera's for digiscoping and I have read a few. They make for interesting reading. I intend to get the camera adaptor as well in the next few days. Currently shopping around for best price on camera then will make the plunge.

Dean:t:B :)

Hi Dean

i recently bought a Nikon Coolpix 5100 two weeks ago. The cheapest price was Amazon at £171, with free postage. I also bought a Scandisk Extreme 3 SD card for £11 with postage,

I bought my adapter from SRB Gitum, along with a cable release for £84. My scope is a Leicia APO 77 with a zoom eye piece.

I have only used it once out in the field due to work and family commitments but i was impressed with the results.

Im sure i will bump into you in the near future and we can compare results.

Unfortunetly i cant make the Berryhill meet due to having to work, else i would have come along.

Good Birding

Sylvia (Phill)

Hey up,

Sylvia (Phill),

It's a shame you can't get to the Berry Hill meet. I hope to go and put a few more names to faces locally.

I now have the P5100 and it looks to be a decent camera with some interesting secifications.

We probably will bump into each other some time and it would be good to compare results.

I think I will get another SD card as you in the next few days.

Now I've got camera I will just post results or ask questions on the P5100 thread which makes for interesting reading.

Dean:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back