• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Protecting binoculars from scratches (1 Viewer)

cornishmaid

Can anyone advise me please? I have some Opticron Traveller binoculars and the eye lenses become misty and scarred after a few months. I've sent them back twice now, to have new lenses put in, but am faced with the same problem yet again. I am so careful with them. I use a puffer brush to clean them and, if necessary, wipe them clean afterwards. I originally thought I'd caused the problem by over-wiping them, so now only do it rarely. I wear oil based mascara sometimes. Could this be affecting the lens coating?

You need to use some proper cleaner rather than just a puffer brush alone. Get one of the sprays from an opticians that is designated for anti-reflection coated lenses, this will do the job, a good spray on each lens after using the puffer brush, then a microfibre cloth to clean and buff up the surface. The spray will de-grease the surface so your make-up shouldn't be a problem.
This is how I've been looking afdter my 10 year old bins since new and there is not a mark on the lenses, and it's what I will be doing with my new bins as well.

Hi cornishmaid and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

I see you've got some great answers already. That's what BirdForum is all about ;)

Hey Cornishmaid

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Thanks

Thanks for welcoming me, and also your advice re the misty bins. Keith - I failed to mention on my original thread that I have sometimes used lens cleaning fluid for multi coated optics. Because of the problem with the Opticrons, I've been using some cheap Bresser bins for a couple of months now, which aren't that brilliant, but although they've got coated lenses, they don't seem to be deteriorating - and I'm still wearing mascara!

Just don't want to waste any more money sending the Optcrons back for repair if this is always going to be a problem with their bins.

Ah well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back