• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovision EL 10x42 or EL 10x50 (1 Viewer)

Before you start reading any user reports you should think about how much weight you're prepared to carry. It's all too easy to forget about the weight issues when people start becoming lyrical about the outstanding optical qualities of binoculars. I suspect the 10x50's are slightly better, simply because of their larger objective lenses - but they're also heavier.

Hermann

I am not an expert, by any means,
but what do you gain with the 50mm binoculars over 42
to justify the extra cost and weight?
-better low light performance for birding
-better for astronomy
-other ?

edj

i am aiming of 1 of these binoculairs , opinions ? and user reports ?

I got the 12x and i haven't had them out my hands since!, it would be easy to wax lyrical about them but really there is no point, just go to your dealer and try them, if possible have them for a full day.
Got to say though the first thing i noticed was no rolling-ball, but this depends on the users eyes of course.

Good luck...B :)

I am not an expert, by any means,
but what do you gain with the 50mm binoculars over 42
to justify the extra cost and weight?
-better low light performance for birding
-better for astronomy
-other ?

Easier eye placement in the exit pupil (so nicer ease of use).

With the flat field/sharp edge to edge a larger exit pupil also makes it easier to "look around" the field. Easier than the 10x42, I suspect and similar to the 8.5x.

Reduced edge of field glare (though the SV already does well here) puts the edge of pupil further way from your eye.

For astronomy use that would be better than the 10x42 but (having roughly the same exit pupil) the same as the 8.5x.

The 10x50 used to be an important bin size for birding (in the old ultra wide days) but weight considerations started to win out and 10x users moved to 10x40 rather than 10x50. The save weight the bin makers used to reduce the FOV (to reduce the amount of glass in the prisms) which made them less useful. It seems Leica in the Ultravid 10x50 got the FOV back to a good size with not a huge amount of weight. And now even more so in the SV 10x50 with further reduced weight and flat field/good edge sharpness.

i am a little bit concerned about the weight of the 10x50 , its only 10 grams lighter than my leica 10x50 HD, and the last few months its been giving me pain in the neck area and schoulders, so i think that the 10x42 will be a better choice also for keeping the bino steady for a longer time .

i am a little bit concerned about the weight of the 10x50 , its only 10 grams lighter than my leica 10x50 HD, and the last few months its been giving me pain in the neck area and schoulders, so i think that the 10x42 will be a better choice also for keeping the bino steady for a longer time .

Have you tried a binoharness? That would reduce neck and shoulder strain,at least while carrying the bins.

As to a lighter 10x42 enabling you to keep the bins steady for a longer period of time, do you mean that after a while of holding the 10x50s fatigue sets in your arms and causes the "shakes"?

Initially, a 10x50 with good ergonomics should provide steadier views because more weight helps dampen bad vibes, but if the weight is more than you can comfortably hold for long periods, you need to take frequent breaks to rest your muscles, or start a weight lifting program to strengthen them, or carry a Finn stick with you (some models can be folded up for convenient carrying), and when you reach the point where the 10x50s feel like an albatross, you can rest the 10x50s on the Finn stick/monopod/walking stick such as this one:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=monopod+walking+sticks&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9121634385271842006&sa=X&ei=CB_hTb_iCqbZ0QGxl82TBw&ved=0CFQQ8wIwAQ

Or buy a 23 oz. 10x35 EII for less than $500 and get awesome views with its sharp optics and wide 7* FOV. Then you could sell the 10x50 EL and use the difference to buy a new Honda Scooter to travel to your favorite birding spots.

Despite the light weight and small size, I have little problem holding the 10x EII fairly steady since it is very well balanced and fits my large hands well.

Brock

Last edited:

You're quite right. The weight will be a deciding factor. Remember that a lighter binocular will not only be more comfortable to carry all day, but it will be quicker on the eyes, you'll be willing to raise it more often during an outing, and - a big plus - you'll be able to hold it longer up to your eyes without fatigue. That's 4 advantages against slightly better optics.

I've changed to 300 grams and I won't go back to heavier bins used in daytime viewing.

Best regards,

Ronald

That's 4 advantages against slightly better optics.

Best regards,

Ronald

has the EL x50 really better optics than the x42, will you see more with a50x than a x42 ? , the only reason for it to be better is that its maybe a little bit lighter in the evening for viewing ?

has the EL x50 really better optics than the x42, will you see more with a50x than a x42 ? , the only reason for it to be better is that its maybe a little bit lighter in the evening for viewing ?

Pimpelmees,

Good point. I should have said that, instead of claiming knowledge of two binoculars I have zero experience with. Sorry!
Maybe I was somewhat under the influence of watching the video about the 10x50 and 12x50 Swarovisions being tried out in Extremadura by 20 top birders, invited by Swarovski...
Anyhow, ignore my remark of "better optics".
The twilight factor will be better on the 10x50's, and they will be brighter in twilight if your eye pupils open up to 5mm or more.

Best regards,

Ronald

Go with the 10x42 unless you want to make your chiropracter rich! No more King of Beasts for me. My back still hurts from the Zeiss 8x56 FL that Henry was pushing. I am thinking of sending him my chiropracter bills.

If hope you're joking, if not, this is a case of the...

Attachments

• GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif
    GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
C'mon, guys. Wonderfully worded insults, by people who probably like each other. So, I'd like to suggest that everyone review and modify their previous posts. I for one just deleted what was post #13.

Just my opinion, which will also be deleted soon. B :)

Ed

Okay, Ed, I'll oblige, but only because you said they were "wonderfully worded." -)

Brock

I stopped by Cabelas yesterday and was able to do a side by side comparison between 8 x 42 SV, 10 x 50 SV and 12 x 50 SV. This was in store only so it may not be what you'd notice outdoors but Cabelas is large, fairly well lit and the variety of focusing opportunities were abundant. What I was most interested in was how the larger binoculars would feel in my hand with their added size and weight. What I found is the overall weight, increased length plus larger objective gives a remarkably well balanced and very steady feel. My pick from only 30 minutes of viewing were the 10 x 52 SV... simply the finest binocular I've ever used. Bright, excellent FOV and an incredibly sharp image. The 12 x 50's were also excellent and may have benefited from going outside but inside the store they just didn't quite have the pop of the 10 x 50's.

As a side note, the feel of the focus wheel on the 8 x 42 SV's was sticky and really detracted from their use while both the 50's had a focus feel that was smooth as butter. I saw no rolling ball effect with any of them so for me it's not an issue.

Before I make my purchase, I'll wait a few days then go back and take a second look through them outside to verify my initial opinion.

Chuck

Rollingball is most visible when you have a background with lots of vertical lines. In the field, think reeds at the edge of pond or a bare-branched tree line along an open field in winter.

Rollingball is most visible when you have a background with lots of vertical lines. In the field, think reeds at the edge of pond or a bare-branched tree line along an open field in winter.

I didn't know that RJM. I'll take them outside and try to make sure I pan in conditions similar to your description. Thanks!

Chuck

I have the older 10x42. I would think the choice of 10x42 and 10x50 with equally amazing glass would be pretty much a no brainer. The 10x50 have a wider field of view, bigger exit pupil and greater light gathering so should resolve greater detail. By all accounts they are very well balanced, so the weight thing is personal and down to how strong yur neck is, although I would go for the harness. If the depth of field is better too, then it should be a winner all around as far as I can tell.

A harder choice IMHO is 8.5x42 or 10x50 (or 8x50 Leica HD).....

no, optic quality is of the same (very high) standard, so that you will notice absolutely no difference. if you are still quite young, then your pupils may dilate so much that can make use of the slightly bigger exit pupil diameter; if you are a bit older this may not be the case and consequently you will see pretty much the same even in low light conditions with both. but, honestly, how often do you go birding in low light?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back