• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls (NE Italy) (1 Viewer)

Hippolais

Luca Boscain
Today in Chioggia I've photographed a lot of interesting gulls. I've some doubt about the identification of these birds, somebody can help me? Each picture shows a different individual
1)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 205
assuming they were taken this year, I would say

1) 2nd CY Casp
2) 2nd CY Herring but has long bill and PP so maybe Casp
3) 2nd CY Casp
4) 3rd CY Casp
5) 3rd CY Casp
6) 2nd CY Casp
7) 2nd CY Casp
8) 3rd CY Casp

let's see how wrong I am now 8-P

IMO
1- white headed Yellow-Legged Gull
2- YL Gull classical
3- Caspian Gull with YLG
4- Herring Gull
5- same bird as 4
6- Casp Gull
7- YLG
8- Casp Gull

IMO 1, 2, 3(the gull behind), 6, 7 and 8 are michahellis with (front bird in 3), 4 and 5 cachinnans.

cheers

some of these aren't easy at all...this is what i think they are:

1. 2cy micha, white headed, weird slim bill base
2. 2cy micha
3. 3cy micha (left) and probably 2cy YLG, not easy this, could well be a cachinnans.
4. 3cy micha
5. really hard to tell, could be a dodgy retarded female 4cy micha but could well also be a 4cy herring gull or a 4cy hybrid (herring x caspian); note it has an all white tail.
6. 1cy cachi
7. 1cy micha
8. looks like a 3cy hybrid cachi x argentatus. an odd individual in many respects.

now discussion can start...

Hi Hippolais,
Do you see many Herring Gulls in NE Italy, looking at the Collins Guide, NE Italy is out of normal range for Herring Gull, (although printed in 2009 distributions may have changed).

Regards, John

herring gull is a regular but scarce winter guest in northern italy. just a few individuals among 1000-s of YLGs ;)

Thanks Lou,
A gull photographed at Upton Warren Worcestershire thread West Midlands has a Green Plastic ring and metal ring. Photo's have been requested to be put on here, looks like a 1st win Caspian.

Regards, John

I agree with Lou, although I would call photos #5 and #8 also Yellow-legged Gull.

It is usually a much better idea to study difficult gulls for a prolonged period of time, and to look at (and photograph) their wing pattern in flight, rather than take just one picture, put it on some forum and then get 5 different opinions from different people...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back