• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Nighthawk or Common Nighthawk, Baker City CA (1 Viewer)

notesfromtheroad

A friend posted this on social media, not knowing what it was. It looks like a Common Nighthawk to me, but the photo is from Baker City, where Lesser Nighthawks are more common, I believe. Can anybody help me with any fieldmarks that could call this one way or the other? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 3.58.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 3.58.02 PM.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 88
I'm having trouble finding Baker City, CA. Do you mean Baker City, OR? There is a Baker, CA, but it's a town that barely exists in the middle of the Mojave Desert that no one would ever call a city..

DarkFireFalcon - it may be Oregon, obviously that makes a big difference. I'll find out.

NJLarson - thank you. Based on the birdforum reference, I will go with Common Nighthawk based on the following, but I may be wrong.

The tertials seem very long on this bird, which makes the bird feel longer than the stout lesser nighthawk. In the birdforum reference, the wing patch appears shorter than the tertials.

The buff spots in this photo seem muted (and that may be because of the shadow) but in photos of the Lesser, they seem more like big squares.

Also, pending location will help...

It probably doesn't need to be said, but location shouldn't be completely used to rule out these two species in the (unlikely) event of the opposite species turning up as a vagrant. Especially since these two can generally be separated from photo details, unlike certain pairs (*cough CordilleranPacificslopeflycatcher cough*).

Its Baker City, Oregon...my error, not California. And you are right, I think the wrong location made me and others spend more time on the ID (and I learned more about differentiating)...still, Common Nighthawk?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back