• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (1 Viewer)

these grenades are quite explosive. that darker mantled mamaia gull still doesn't look like a graellsii to me, something about its jizz, somehow i don't see the "face" of a graellsii.

so what do you think is that a pure cachinnans (first pic in cristian's post 2056?)

these grenades are quite explosive. that darker mantled mamaia gull still doesn't look like a graellsii to me, something about its jizz, somehow i don't see the "face" of a graellsii.

so what do you think is that a pure cachinnans (first pic in cristian's post 2056?)

Lou, don't tell my again that it looks like a hybrid... ;)

no. i don't know for sure but i'd leave it as a pure cach! hybrids should be proven by rings and documented parentship - i give up trying to find them phenotypically!

Attachments

• LBBGs - different leg colour.JPG
    LBBGs - different leg colour.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Lesser Black-backed Gulls.JPG
    Lesser Black-backed Gulls.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
pete, adult dark mantled gulls with such obvious pinkish legs are considered hybrids by ruud altenburg as he related in this thread: http://www.talk.gull-research.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=621#p2628

andy, the dark mantled (almost black) LBBG sure looks like an intermedius.

I can't see Pete's first bird being a hybrid. What species would be its parents?

I thought that most of my Lesser Black-backeds in Dartford were Graellsii but since the Oslo colour ringed bird from a few weeks back, I'm starting to think that many or even most could be intermedius.

Cheers, Andy.

argentatus x graellsii would be the idea even in birds with graellsii-shade mantle. but this is not my wisdom...

surely many norwegian birds winter in britain.

argentatus x graellsii would be the idea even in birds with graellsii-shade mantle. but this is not my wisdom...

surely many norwegian birds winter in britain.

I'm guessing that you don't consider these darker birds to be hybrids either.

I think you're right about Norwegian birds; the bird from a few weeks ago made me change my opinion (which wasn't set in stone anyway!).

Cheers, Andy.

I'm guessing that you don't consider these darker birds to be hybrids either.

Cheers, Andy.

i have no idea. but sure is hybrids can look very close to one parent part, so graellsii like mantles with pinkish legs could well be hybrids. and they should not be that rare considering the large populations of both sp. in great britain.
e.g. some cach x argentatus look absolutely like pure cachs.
i had my doubts about adult LBBG with flesh coloured or even pinkish legs since i think in michahellis this is a consistent feature of adult birds (no or very very rare flesh coloured legs in adults). ruud confirmed my suspicion in saying he (or "they" are considering such birds as hybrids.

the grenade bird (mamaia, november 2011) looks very pale for a pure western LBBG, but is much too advanced for heuglini in primary moult. that's why i suggested a russian argentatus x heuglini (like being existant around 100 km east of moscow in the ivanovo oblast, greg neubauer has found out).

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back