• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull day trip: 6th April 2007 (1 Viewer)

Dave H

I know what you're all thinking, it's another Mull trip report! Isn't half the joy of it telling other people what they missed?!?! ;)

I am privileged enough to live in Glasgow and that means Mull can be done as a day trip. When time doesn't allow long weekends this keeps me sane for the rest of the year when I have to look at the walls of my office!

Anyway, I set off around 7am for Oban to catch the ferry. I had organised a wildlife tour for the day to avoid taking the car across. I used Richard Atkinson's tour to be found here: Mull Wildlife
I can recommend Richard as a laid back and informative guide to Mull's wildlife.

Whilst at Oban harbour waiting for the ferry to move off there were three black guilliemots near the pier. An inquisitive common seal also popped his head up close to the boat. I am sorry to say that I have a lot still to learn on gulls but I'd be willing to bet that there were a few unusual ones amongst the hundreds in the Oban harbour area!

Another common seal on the crossing at the warning light three quarters of the way across. This is the place where I'm pretty certain I saw a sea eagle perched last year.

I met Richard at the pier and set off on the wildlife tour. Five minutes later we were driving at the side of Lochdon. On our way we saw three red breasted mergansers and two greenshank at a pool to the side of the road. Also on the trip was a newly married couple on honeymoon, Bruce and Helen (the perfect honeymoon in my opinion but just try and tell that to my lady!). Bruce had a cracking new camera and zoom and I am hoping to post some pictures up in due course.

We parked up on the shore of Lochdon and scanned for sea eagle in the trees. Sure enough, Richard was able to put us on to an adult male sea eagle sitting high in a distant tree. My new scope with zoom (which proved over the course of the day to be invaluable) got us a cracking silhouette of the eagle against a pale cloudy sky. A sudden movement in a field behind caught our eyes and we turned to see a stunning male merlin glide low over the bumpy ground. He landed in the top branch of a low tree quite close allowing some great views through the scope. The local pipits were not so happy and made the merlin's stay on the tree as uncomfortable as possible! So 15 minutes on Mull and we've seen enough to last the day!

Moving on we headed out to Grasspoint. Our guide is familiar with the eagle's favourite spots and a quick scan revealed he was not there today. When stopped to scan, a shape in the water a little rocky cove to our right prompted cries of "otter!" but unfortunately it was merely a mink. Our guide told us that a grant has just been obtained to employ a full time mink catcher for the island. That struck me as a job title you could boast about!

Heading next to Lochbuie, we scanned the loch shore continuously for otter but still no show. There were several rafts of eider duck offshore (mainly male). We lunched at a good golden eagle spot but found the goldies far less obliging than their bigger cousins. Glen More next and no goldies there either. Just where were they?! At the end of Glen More approaching Loch Scridain we caught some distant views of large raptors. We put the scope on them and had some cracking views of two immature sea eagles talon grappling over Cruachain Sgoraich. Incredible!

At the side of Loch Scridain we continued to dip on otters but had perfect male and female stonechat just by the road.

At Tiroran along Glen Seilisdier, our guide picked up a male adult sea eagle in the top of the highest tree. The sun shone right on him and through the scope you could really make out his stunning pale head and bright yellow bill. Of course, he didn't move an inch for the 15 minutes we waited and I understand that they will sit happily for hours doing nothing whatsoever!

Further along the Glen we got further sea eagle sightings. An immature flying high over the trees.

Along the end of the Glen approaching Griburn I caught sight of a large raptor high overhead. At last, we had our goldie. A shabby adult male flew directly overhead from the direction of Beinn na h-Iolaire to A Mhaol. Scanning the ridges we caught an immature sea eagle fly along the top ridge of Beinn na h-Iolaire and land on a high crag. Through the scope we could make out a pinkish wing tag.

Back to the ferry and we had another immature sea eagle over the woods in Glen Seilisdier. Then the best view of the day of a soaring adult over Benvulin. Presumably our eagle that was in the tree earlier.

On the way back along Loch Scridain was a dirty looking Great Northern Diver in not yet summer plummage.

Back home then. Grumpy at leaving but what a day!

What an excellent day you had! Golden eagles, sea eagles, a merlin all in one day.:t: Brilliant! :clap:

Joanne

Hi Dave, excellent report. My friend and I are planning a trip to Mull sometime, but as he is disabled and in a wheelchair, it is not practical for us to go on one of the wildlife safaris with a guide, as I gather this involves some walking over rough ground. Can you suggest any good safe spots where we could pull the car off the road and scan around for eagles, harriers, divers, and otters, or even any trails with a good surface we could attempt. Any advice greatly appreciated, cheers, Mark.

register said:
Hi Dave, excellent report. My friend and I are planning a trip to Mull sometime, but as he is disabled and in a wheelchair, it is not practical for us to go on one of the wildlife safaris with a guide, as I gather this involves some walking over rough ground. Can you suggest any good safe spots where we could pull the car off the road and scan around for eagles, harriers, divers, and otters, or even any trails with a good surface we could attempt. Any advice greatly appreciated, cheers, Mark.

There are lots of places to pull off the road round Loch na Keal, Mark. And that is a good area to look for eagles & otters

Sandra

register said:

Mark,
I reckon you should telephone the guide I used. We didn't end up doing any walking really. I'm pretty sure all the birding could be done from the van and road for a disabled birder.

As general advice goes, if you take your own transport, a drive around the lower half of Mull (Craignure round to Salen then on back to Craignure) takes you through the territories of all the species you mention. You'd be desperately unlucky not to see any of the favourites!

Dave H said:
I know what you're all thinking, it's another Mull trip report! Isn't half the joy of it telling other people what they missed?!?! ;)

Of course it is Dave. A super report. Just makes me want to be back there.
It's a good idea going with a proper guide, too, when time's limited. We came across Mr. Atkinson a couple of times on our trips to Mull and he was kind enough to point birds out to us. Of course, it works both ways, because we found him an otter one day a few miles from the ferry terminal for Iona. Unfortunately it didn't show again for his clients. (Oops, I think maybe that was the other wildlife guide, Mr. Woodhouse - can't be sure)

Sandra

Much obliged to Dave and Sandra for their advice. Hope to go to Mull in Late september/early October. Does anyone know when great northern divers arrive on Mull, and if they will still have their summer plumage? Cheers, Mark.

register said:
Much obliged to Dave and Sandra for their advice. Hope to go to Mull in Late september/early October. Does anyone know when great northern divers arrive on Mull, and if they will still have their summer plumage? Cheers, Mark.
We were in Skye this week and saw Great Northern Divers in Summer plumage. (I know that doesn't help you for October!). Also had great views of White Tailed Sea Eagle from a boat trip out of Portree! didn't see Golden Eagle although we tried from many recommended places but sighted many, many buzzards and also a merlin.
For anyone interested: we also saw puffin, red-breasted merganzer, guillemot, black guillemot, eider duck, razorbill, red throated diver, manx shearwater, whooper swans, greenshank (among the more common waders), wheatear were coming out of our ears too! Lots more common birds too. Great week - even if it's not the best birding spot in Scotland..

Last edited:
flippsy said:
We were in Skye this week and saw Great Northern Divers in Summer plumage. (I know that doesn't help you for October!). Also had great views of White Tailed Sea Eagle from a boat trip out of Portree! didn't see Golden Eagle although we tried from many recommended places but sighted many, many buzzards and also a merlin.
For anyone interested: we also saw puffin, red-breasted merganzer, guillemot, black guillemot, eider duck, razorbill, red throated diver, manx shearwater, whooper swans, greenshank (among the more common waders), wheatear were coming out of our ears too! Lots more common birds too. Great week - even if it's not the best birding spot in Scotland..

Certainly,sounds good to me.

register said:

At Grasspoint you usually can get WTSE from the car. Loch na Keal is probably best for Otters but they can be anywhere round the coast (I've certainly seen them from the ferry crossing point at Fishnish) and roads follow a lot of the coast.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back