• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight binoculars (1 Viewer)

Lelly L

Hello there. I wonder if you can help (I'm new to this so please don't shoot me down in flames if this has been asked before!). I'm after a pair of lightweight binoculars for walking - I currently have Opticron poro lense 10 x 42 (I think) which are fab but give me neck ache after a while. I have a budget of approx £300 - £350 to spend. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi Lelly L and welcome to BF

If you could weigh your current bins then we'll know more what might be suitable for you and be able to suggest lighter alternatives.

Also you might want to consider using a binocular harness if you aren't already as opposed to the lanyard that usually comes with bins.

Nev

Hello there. I wonder if you can help (I'm new to this so please don't shoot me down in flames if this has been asked before!). I'm after a pair of lightweight binoculars for walking - I currently have Opticron poro lense 10 x 42 (I think) which are fab but give me neck ache after a while. I have a budget of approx £300 - £350 to spend. Any ideas? Thanks

Have you considered a different magnification or aperture? Reducing the apertue to 32mm should reduce the weight and size. A nice lightweight porro available here in the U.S. is the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. Here is the link to the Leupold webpage for the Yosemite.

http://leupold.com/observation/products/binoculars/yosemite-series/yosemite-6x30mm/

...Bob
Kentucky

I agree with the above.... A harness will take ALL the weight off the neck and place it on the shoulders. And, if you like your current bins this is such a less expensive solution!

I have used binos while walking for some years. I usually carry a small pack and if carrying non-compact (above 25mm) I usually clip the strap to the carrying handle of the rucksac; this takes the weight off my neck. If using compacts, I put the strap around my neck but put the binos in a shirt or jacket pocket. I dont like walking far with binos hanging round my neck; another option (no pack - fullsize binos) is to have use a long strap and carry them over my shoulder, across my body.

If you like your Opticron, they do a model called the Opticron Traveller BGA, in 6x32, 8x32 and 10x32 format. It´s almost a "compact", very small and light, with the focuser on the "far" end of the bridge, for about 160 sterling. Alternatively they do a very nice compact called Opticron DBA Oasis 8x21....lovely wide field of view, very sharp, bright, about 230 sterling in the UK, I think. Weight negligible, pocket-sized bins.

Sherwoods have the Vortex Viper 8x32 for £295. This is 550g and may be the best lightweight bin you can get for that sort of price. The RSPB is just about to bring out an HD 8x32 which weighs in at a mouthwatering 460g, but it will almost certainly cost nearer £500 than £300. I often use the Leupold Yosemite 6x30, which is a delight to carry, but I don't think it's available in this country and anyway dropping from 10x to 6x might be a bit of a shock.

Michael

One thing that helps is to shorten your strap so the ep's of the bino are no more than 6-7" below your chin when hanging. That'll eliminate most of the swinging motion of the glass while walking and you can get it into action a little quicker. If you're wearing a jacket, zip it up to cover about the bottom 1/3 of the bino, and that will totally stop any bino motion and if it suddenly starts raining, just a quick pull on the zipper will get the bino covered.

Many options:

Harness or a better strap for your actual 10x42.

A full size with smaller magnification (eg. 7x36) or a mid-size 8x32.

A compact binocular (eg. 7x26 reverse porro)

IMO, I would start with a harness so you can still use your binoculars if you like them. You might want to search here in the forum. many systems exist for different needs. After that, you can decide that you want a smaller size bin to complete what you have. A compact for travelling or backpacking is nice. If you can deal with something slightly bigger and heavier, a mid-size will provide you something more confortable than a compact.

Last edited:
Thanks very much to all of you - this is my first post and all the suggestions you have given have really helped and has made posting less scary than I thought! I'm going to look at the compacts suggested but might get the harness anyway (I didn't know they existed until this posting!) because even when doing short walks the neck ache sets in. Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back