• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

I do not know about visualization , but any bird watcher worth his salt will know what the comming weather might bring and work out for himself where its likely to find the birds rather than blindly following the sheep to where ever the pager points them. So what if you miss some rareity , there is alway another year to try and find it.

What joy and satisifaction there is in looking at a bird that someone else has reported is a mystery to me. Its rather like someone putting a big fish on your hook and then telling you , you have a bite. Go out find your own birds , keep quiet about them and know the wildlife of the area will be undisturbed by the birding hoards.

Agreed finding your own birds is more satisfying, but it's a lot harder ! There is nothing wrong with a bit of twitching, a healthy mix is what's needed. Also when you twitch somebody elses bird, you never know, you might find something rarer in the same tree;)

You can tell there are no birds around, what is all this nonsense

Orville - your crest having an orange crest doesn't mean its not a goldcrest, you want to see a bright green mantle and very bold head pattern with white supercilium and black eye stripe.

see here for some nice photos.
http://www.norfolkbirds.com/Species.aspx

My own shots (from France) are HERE if you want to confirm/compare. Includes a juvenile.

Dave

back to orange. just because a name says orange it does not have to be. in my garden i have a japanese maple called "orange dream" that has green leaves whitch turn yellow in autumn, also an amur maple that has the most stunning orange and red leaves in the falls

You can tell there are no birds around, what is all this nonsense

Orville - your crest having an orange crest doesn't mean its not a goldcrest, you want to see a bright green mantle and very bold head pattern with white supercilium and black eye stripe.

see here for some nice photos. http://www.norfolkbirds.com/Species.aspx

Stuart- I was aware of those features butt was playing along for the sake of thread banter. I am in no doubt as to what crest species it was.
Cheers for checking though.

I do not know about visualization , but any bird watcher worth his salt will know what the comming weather might bring and work out for himself where its likely to find the birds rather than blindly following the sheep to where ever the pager points them. So what if you miss some rareity , there is alway another year to try and find it.

What joy and satisifaction there is in looking at a bird that someone else has reported is a mystery to me. Its rather like someone putting a big fish on your hook and then telling you , you have a bite. Go out find your own birds , keep quiet about them and know the wildlife of the area will be undisturbed by the birding hoards.

Part of this post I strongly agree with....part of same post I strongly disagree with....

I agree with the studying of incoming weather and conditions then going out to try and find your own birds. I disagree with then not telling anyone of the birds you may find. I work my patch looking for scarce more than most...and it encourages me when I then read on the pager that eg a Wryneck has just turned up at Salthouse...it encourages me to look even harder at my patch and not give up. If the pager tells of an afternoon arrival of Yellow-browed Warblers down the coast..ill go out again (checked in morning) in evening to Corton railtrack to look for them (frequently succesfully after such a pager call to arms..) So reporting birds does not just mean the lazy twitchers will get off their backsides and go look at your bird..spoiling the peace..it also means birders are encouarged into persevering with bird finding themselves....and screw it..such birders have a right to go twitch a nearby pager bird to brighten up a long fruitless day on their patch....

As for visualisation..I visualise Norfolk will have no birds for at least a week..bar the odd Yank wader. I visualise that those intrepid or rich enough to be on Barra or seawatching from the Bridges of Ross etc will see the only rewards this week.
Still its the best month of the year..so dont give up...maybe one of those juv Pallid Harriers will somehow reach Norfolk this week or a Yank wader Norfolk first may turn up...problem is..in conditions such as this...noone looks...

"Titchwell beach is temporally closed due to the discovery of a WW2 shell"!

One of our visitors had carried it off the beach and left it by the path! Bomb disposal attended but the shell turned out to be solid and not high explosive and was removed. Beach and path now open.

All good fun

Paul

Titchwell September 6th

Today’s highlights

Little stint – 3 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper – 5 on fresh marsh
Temminck’s stint – unconfirmed report of one on fresh marsh mid-morning but not further sign
Marsh harrier – 17 over reedbed early morning
Golden plover – 350 on fresh marsh

Paul

Excellent day at Titchwell despite the inclement weather. Even on the way out there, things were showing, with a Common Buzzard up and a Weasel running across the road near Sculthorpe and a Stoat doing the same thing at Burnham Deepdale.
Arrived at Titchwell to be greeted by no less than 17 Marsh Harriers up over the reserve and three Green Sands and a Spotted Redshank flew over the path. A nice selection of other waders included 82 Oystercatchers, 20 Ruff, 12 Ringed Plovers, four Greenshanks, five Curlew Sands and 3 Little Stints. Unfortunately, there was no sign of the Temminck's noted in the log book.
Lots of Meadow Pipits and wagtails on the heavily vegetated side of Parrinder Hide and amongst the 20 Pied and 5 Yellow Wags was a superbly marked, clean adult White Wagtail in crisp ashy-grey autumn plumage.
All the expected wader species could be found on the beach.
The sea was surprisingly rewarding despite the very strong wind - in the wrong direction - and in just an hour or so mid-afternoon we noted an Eider, redhead Merganser, four Arctic Skuas all flying west, several GC Grebes offshore, RT Diver west and a Little Tern flying west with a flock of 15 Common Terns. Best bird though, was a rather nice juvenile Shag on the sea drifting east. With its high forehead, lovely thin bill and subtle, soft, head markings, it showed so much more finesse than the clunky Cormorants around it!
So if you get fed up with being knocked about by the wind, just give yourself a break and spend a couple of hours in the hides at Titchwell and then thank me later when that rare wader turns up ;)

Last edited:

I partially agree with you, but being an ex twitcher - seeing a new species is a real buzz. But I also get a buzz from others coming to see my finds albeit on a local basis. As long as it brings enjoyment, each to their own.:t:John

Excellent day at Titchwell despite the inclement weather. Even on the way out there, things were showing, with a Common Buzzard up and a Weasel running across the road near Sculthorpe and a Stoat doing the same thing at Burnham Deepdale.
Arrived at Titchwell to be greeted by no less than 17 Marsh Harriers up over the reserve and three Green Sands and a Spotted Redshank flew over the path. A nice selection of other waders included 82 Oystercatchers, 20 Ruff, 12 Ringed Plovers, four Greenshanks, five Curlew Sands and 3 Little Stints. Unfortunately, there was no sign of the Temminck's noted in the log book.
Lots of Meadow Pipits and wagtails on the heavily vegetated side of Parrinder Hide and amongst the 20 Pied and 5 Yellow Wags was a superbly marked, clean adult White Wagtail in crisp ashy-grey autumn plumage.
All the expected wader species could be found on the beach.
The sea was surprisingly rewarding despite the very strong wind - in the wrong direction - and in just an hour or so mid-afternoon we noted an Eider, redhead Merganser, four Arctic Skuas all flying west, several GC Grebes offshore, RT Diver west and a Little Tern flying west with a flock of 15 Common Terns. Best bird though, was a rather nice juvenile Shag on the sea drifting east. With its high forehead, lovely thin bill and subtle, soft, head markings, it showed so much more finesse than the clunky Cormorants around it!
So if you get fed up with being knocked about by the wind, just give yourself a break and spend a couple of hours in the hides at Titchwell and then thank me later when that rare wader turns up ;)

Thank you for adding an interesting, positive, informative post to this thread:t::t::t:

That's commonly known as SUPPRESSION - not good practice - its called being selfish:-C

Its a fair point he makes though, has certainly been a motivation for myself in the past!
Although I have started to report birds now where I know disruption to humans/the bird would be minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back