• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1cy gull Gülper See, Brandenburg, germany (1 Viewer)

fabalis

Hi, yesterday I digiscoped this large-gull. Please tell me YLG ? :smoke:

Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN3056.JPG
    DSCN3056.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3061.JPG
    DSCN3061.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 76
again, looks better for juvenile LBBG, probably intermedius.
slender built, very long wings (but equally long in some female michs), very tidy and fresh juvenile plumage (same for YLG at this time of year but with a rufous tingue), pattern of inner GC better for LBBG, imo.
differentiation between juv mich and graellsii/intermedius can be a real challenge...
this bird however instantly struck me as being a LBBG (which i guess is as good a species as YLG on gülper see)

It's still a steep leaning curve to be getting to grips with immature Gulls. I feel I am improving all the time but this really had a YLG feel to me. The clean looking head and head pattern looked better to me for YLG. Also, unless I'm seeing it wrong the tertials look to have dark centres. The long wings also made me think YLG. But then again I don't have much experience with intermedius/fuscus of that age...only graeslii. Always happy to learn.

again, looks better for juvenile LBBG, probably intermedius.
slender built, very long wings (but equally long in some female michs), very tidy and fresh juvenile plumage (same for YLG at this time of year but with a rufous tingue), pattern of inner GC better for LBBG, imo.
differentiation between juv mich and graellsii/intermedius can be a real challenge...
this bird however instantly struck me as being a LBBG (which i guess is as good a species as YLG on gülper see)

I am having trouble reconciling the pale pink leg colour of this bird with LBBG. In July, juvenile LBBGulls usually have dull greyish-pink legs with dark shins:
http://www.gull-research.org/lbbg1cy/lbbg1cyjuly.html
Most are still growing the outermost primary, too. Especially this year, after the unusually cold and miserable spring that we have had in western Europe, I would expect a bit of a shorter wing projection. The gulls started to breed one or even two weeks later than normal this spring, so most juveniles are not particularly full-fledged yet.
This bird, on the other hand, not only seems to have fully grown wingtips, but also seems to be moulting a few upper scapulars and even to have replaced a few of them already too. The (upper) mantle therefore appears much paler than in any LBBG this time of year.

To me, this bird looks most similar to Yellow-legged Gull, but I do not live among many individuals of that species like Lou does, so I will gladly defer to his greater experience. Every year, a few hybrid large gulls (including backcrosses) are produced in western European gull colonies, so perhaps these should also be taken into account here.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back