• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare birds 'faring better' in UK (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

At least that article comes over less 'slap ourselves on the back' than this :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/oct/28/uk-rare-bird-populations

I have been saying for some time we need to make a much broader effort - much more resources towards wider habitat protection and development, concentrating not on the species high up the food chain but on building a solid bottom to it. Single species initiatives are highly likely to meet goals for those single species, but like any narrow management targets are likely to divert efforts away from broader and maybe more desirable outcomes.

I don't deny that conservation charities do a lot of broad based habitat work. I am annoyed that their publicity and public education programmes are relatively weak in these areas. Many clearly believe it is more important to catch public imagination with iconic species than to educate the public in what will really make a difference. We see the results in the _continuing_ widespread declines reported. Habitat work needs to be spread across the country and town, integrated into our society at all levels, not an afterthought except for a few "special" areas.

Mike (a farmer).

It does look like we're heading for a situation that wildlife will only be found in reserves, and the rest of the environment is increasingly losing species and numbers.

The Countryside is becoming too efficient and tidy, stuble fields no longer happen. "Spilt grain", so often talked about in older bird books, doesn't exist. Barns are being developed and are no longer bird friendly. Rural villages are being suburbanised, with tarmac drives and manicured lawns.. all nice n neat n tidy.... the list goes on!

The majority of the common birds that are doing well are those which can adapt to feeding from bird feeders (nothing wrong with feeding the birds!) those which need to forage for 'wild' food are suffering.

It does look like we're heading for a situation that wildlife will only be found in reserves, and the rest of the environment is increasingly losing species and numbers.

The Countryside is becoming too efficient and tidy, stuble fields no longer happen. "Spilt grain", so often talked about in older bird books, doesn't exist. Barns are being developed and are no longer bird friendly. Rural villages are being suburbanised, with tarmac drives and manicured lawns.. all nice n neat n tidy.... the list goes on!

The majority of the common birds that are doing well are those which can adapt to feeding from bird feeders (nothing wrong with feeding the birds!) those which need to forage for 'wild' food are suffering.

Its not just the Countryside ! All our potential habitat areas need to be far better used.

Mike.

The story is not that surprising and does show that when a dedicated effort is made for key species that they can often recover. It is a shame that the story does not pick up more strongly the large number of projects that are helping our more widespread species, there are many. It also does not pick up the added benefits of work on birds like stone-curlew and cirl bunting, where farms are entering an agri-environment scheme which provides habitats for a wide range of farmland wildlife as well as the 'target' species.

There is a perception that conservation organisations only work towards the conservation of certain flagship species, but that does not accurately reflect what actually goes on in the UK. Whether the media only pick up the stories about the rare species, or the bodies do not publicise the wider work they do strongly enough, I am not sure.

I know that there is plenty going on in the countryside, and real drivers for the conservation of wider countryside birds in the form of Environmental Stewardship and its equivalents in Wales and Scotland. Farmers are all too often seen negatively, when there is a tremendous amount of work happening in the countryside.

I suspect that things are weaker when it comes to urban habitats, and perhaps these are wrongly overlooked. But I am sure that there are plenty of projects that do not get publicised, though there is undoubtedly more we could do to educate and inform people.

Are urban species such as House Sparrows and Starlings actually less commoner than they used used to be or could it be as our cities become more multi-cultural with more immigration that there are simply large sections of urban areas devoid of "bird counts".

There seems to be a proportionately less number of people from ethnic minority backgrounds and possible even white working class or benefit class backgrounds interested in birding. One thing I find is that ethnic minorities might be more likely to concrete gardens so they can park cars there and not have to look after them. Maybe there needs to be a drive aimed at ethnic minorities to create more green zones in what little gardens they may have in urban areas. Looking at most of my relations I find they are quick to concrete any garden they have bought with the property. Ethnic minorities are a significant part of British cities and the have a higher birth-rate on average. Over time the ethnic composition of British cities will change even more dramatically.

I am sure people will think again about concreting their gardens if they realise that birds depend upon them. I find publicity of conservation not very representative of the British population. Everyone involved seems to be white middle-class and from suburban backgrounds. Do you see some of the "garden habitats" they keep showing on Springwatch and Autumnwatch? To most people that would be very alien.

There needs to be big changes if they want to save urban habitats. Conservation organisations need to become more diverse and modern Britain friendly.

Intresting in that the article doesnt mention Arctic Skua - recently added to the Red list and the first species ever to go from Green straight to Red.

Unbeknown to a lot of people Herring Gull is also a red species....

I must admit that the over-reliance on the concept of "key species", as pacticed in UK, has always struck me as rather strange. Surely habitat conservation has always been far more preferable, although not as profitable perhaps, than spending vast sums of cash on widespread and, dare I say it, common species such as Osprey. While I applaud the efforts put into conservation by many organisations I feel that some of it is directed more towards "value for money" species that the general public can sigh/gasp over, than actual "real" conservation.
Chris

It was mentionned on Springwatch back in the summer. The RSPB did have it on amber some time back. I cant believe it has become a red list species? Dont see that much of them any more sadly inland sadly.

Intresting in that the article doesnt mention Arctic Skua - recently added to the Red list and the first species ever to go from Green straight to Red.

Unbeknown to a lot of people Herring Gull is also a red species....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back