• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

120-400 sigma vs 100-400 canon (1 Viewer)

dave-g2011

Hi Folks
I notice in sales ads the sigma is approx half the canon price. My question is: Is the Sigma a good buy up against this L lens Canon? your views would be most appreciated. Looking at fitting it to a 60d.

Last edited:
No, no, a thousand times no....

I once had the money to buy the Canon, but to me £1000 was the cost of a car, so I could not bring myself to do so, a choice I bitterly regret.

I bought a Tamron 200-500 - optically good, but no good for Birds in Flight under grey British skies as the autofocus hunted from one extreme to the other.

This I traded in for a Sigma 120-400 OS which was USELESS at 400 mm even at f/8.

This I traded in for a Sigma 50-500 - which was by far the best lens I have owned and what I should have bought in the first place with what I was prepared to spend, but I had to sell it to pay off part of the credit card bill, so I ended up with a rechipped Sigma 300mm f/4 from eBay which I have to use at f/8 to get any keepers at all.

MORAL: if you can afford the Canon 100-400 L BUY IT. For Canon users, there are those with the 100-400 L or the 400 L, and there is everyone else.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back