• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sorry - Another which bins thread! (1 Viewer)

I am also looking for binocularas but maybe now I win some of the ... zen ray ... I`m shure all the reviews are very helpfull, but in the end I know i will just walk into a shop and take those that feel best in my hands and also are the most beautiful ... this may sound like a silly girl but in this way I have chosen two pairs and Im very happy with them. I did look through them too of xcourse! Only they eare lady-size so in weak light I see nothing anymore ... Do you think this is a very bad method for choosing bins? ...you probably do, but men may have a differendt attitude here ...

M dP

Marie

Thank you for visiting this forum. It is very nice to hear from a lady, we are almost all men posting here, apart from our friend Annabeth who you have met already and CJ in Australia.

When choosing binoculars there are technical things to consider but if you are to really enjoy your binoculars then when you see them and pick them up, they have to 'speak' to you and feel right for you in your hands. So, always take your intuition to the shop.

For seeing better at the beginning and end of the day, when the light is so beautiful but not very strong, you should try binoculars with 42mm objective lenses, like an 8x42. These will be heavier than the binoculars you already own, but this is the price you pay, to see better in poor light.

Bonne chance!

Lee

Marie

Thank you for visiting this forum. It is very nice to hear from a lady, we are almost all men posting here, apart from our friend Annabeth who you have met already and CJ in Australia.

When choosing binoculars there are technical things to consider but if you are to really enjoy your binoculars then when you see them and pick them up, they have to 'speak' to you and feel right for you in your hands. So, always take your intuition to the shop.

For seeing better at the beginning and end of the day, when the light is so beautiful but not very strong, you should try binoculars with 42mm objective lenses, like an 8x42. These will be heavier than the binoculars you already own, but this is the price you pay, to see better in poor light.

Bonne chance!

Lee

Hello Lee

and thank you very much for your anser.

I thought of the 42 mm too, but often they seem to heavy. But maybe in the dim light you have to carry something heavier, there may be no other choice. And I love the owls particularly (Asia otus to be concrete), so I must have something else.

Besides .... as there was another quote of my post before i want to apologize to anyone who felt offendet ..... the post was really only a big joke but i begin to understand that French humour ("joking with a straight face" we often say in my region) is completely misuntderstood ..... so sorry ..... maybe i am really silly to think everwhere they understand the same thing ...

M dP

Hello Lee

I thought of the 42 mm too, but often they seem to heavy. But maybe in the dim light you have to carry something heavier, there may be no other choice.

M dP

Marie,
I love the small binoculars especially the 8x30-32mm sizes.
But now that I need to wear eyeglasses I use 8x42 as my primary
bino for the larger exit pupil (works much better for me with my
eyeglasses). I do have one 8x42, Minox BL (not the current version) that is small-ish and light (21oz).
It feels nice and light in my hands.

I think you are doing it the best way...to try the binos out in person
at the shops. Unfortunately, I don't have any good shops with good
selection of binos where I live.

The Nikon Monarch M7 8x42 looks to be light and sort of compact
for its size. This is not the type of quality as your other bins, but I've
heard it's still quite good...just a suggestion and also to mention that there
are some small-ish and relatively light 42mm binos out there.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you pick and how you like it.

~ Beth

Marie your intuition clearly leads you to a compact roof prism binocular, if you want to stay compact but usable in low light depending on your budget the 8x32 Zeiss FL and Swarovski 8x32 SV are very bright for 32mm.

Otherwise the Opticron Aurora in 8x42 is a good choice, a 42mm not much bigger or heavier than most 32mm offerings.

Hello Lee

I thought of the 42 mm too, but often they seem to heavy. But maybe in the dim light you have to carry something heavier, there may be no other choice. And I love the owls particularly (Asia otus to be concrete), so I must have something else.

Besides .... as there was another quote of my post before i want to apologize to anyone who felt offendet ..... the post was really only a big joke but i begin to understand that French humour ("joking with a straight face" we often say in my region) is completely misuntderstood ..... so sorry ..... maybe i am really silly to think everwhere they understand the same thing ...

M dP

No reason to apologize, it's not French humor that no one understands, its the fact that there is no way to know if you are joking unless you use the little smilies that we illiterates use so people know it is light hearted.

Hello Lee

M dP

No need to apologise Marie, everyone here tries to be humorous from time to time and we don't always get it right either.

42 mm are heavier its true but you may find them better, not only in the twilight but also inside the forests especially when the weather is not so good and the sky is cloudy.

Lee

Marie wrote ". . . because i consider them a toy of the illiterate ..."

Hi Marie:

Although a Texan (We usually don't dance around the issues), Perterra nailed it. Smilies CAN be most helpful. In a world that prides itself more and more on "political correctness," they can help soften words that otherwise might be taken in an offensive manner. If we had not become such an AR society, Smilies would be a waste of time and text, but . . .

As for Brock, well, you're on your own there. But as I understand it, he likes to be scratched behind the ears; it makes him more docile. He has derailed my train of thought more than once. But, from time to time, it needs to be derailed.

Possibly, once you get to understand some of the sick humor, you'll see we're all just marginal humanoids. Were it not so, there would be no need for such forums.

Bill

PS If you would like to expand your business, you might try opening a Chocolate shop in Flavigny. The city that was the backdrop for the movie "Chocolat" does produce candy, but there's not a Chocolate shop to be seen. My wife just got back 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back