• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do we want from binocular reviews? (1 Viewer)

Ed

I agree entirely but I will be somewhat immodest at this point and direct you to my test of Conquest vs SLC 15x56s where the magic of the feathers on the nape of an actual bird is used to describe performance and where other birds put in an appearance.

Having said all that Steve certainly had his own style that everyone can learn from.

Lee

Lee,

Oops, sorry about that. I did say it was an "extremely small group," though .. and he "may" have been unique.
(I do try to keep the hedge word in there just for safety.)

Ed

Lee,

Oops, sorry about that. I did say it was an "extremely small group," though .. and he "may" have been unique.
(I do try to keep the hedge word in there just for safety.)

Ed

Ah, but was Steven an optical tech, optical engineer, optician, or ophthalmologist? Nope; he was an . . . English teacher! Technically, he didn't raise the bar that much higher.

HOWEVER, he is a nice guy and a great COMMUNICATOR! I know guys in optics that could blow Steve away with their knowledge. But, if they tried, it would be over the heads of most of us, myself included. Is that communication--getting information across? It is not. Good man, Steve!

I've been reading his stuff since it was a single page of light brown paper, folded in half. Cory and I have both read and participated.

That goes a long way to support my thoughts on binoculars. Alphas are great, but are you wanting to brag about your binoculars or take note of the birds along your walk. I have Alphas, and have owned many more. BUT, must you always have Alphas to enjoy your hobby. You do not.

As one other quotes TR on our forum:

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have."

I doubt Steve's philosophy would depart from that very far.

Bill

From MY point of view please!

Objectivity, not subjectivity.

I want objectivity too - but from my point of view please!

Though some values can be measured (more or less) objectively, we should be aware that subjectivity always plays a big part. Just a few points to explain what I mean:

1. WHAT do you measure "objectively"? AllBinos, for instance, give great importance to distortion. They may measure it objectively, but I personally never notice distortion. So the distortion result may - for my purposes - distort the result of the whole test. Many other features, optical and mechanical, can be measured or omitted, depending not on any objective criteria but on the personal preferences of the reviewer.

2. Handling is obviously important, but it is hardly possible to describe it objectively. It depends very much on your hands (etc.) and on how you use them.

3. In the end your binos have to work together not only with your hands but with your eyes and with your brain/perception. There are no objective values that can describe or predict how well a model will work for a particular user.

I'm not saying that it's all subjectivity, but we should be aware of the limitations of apparently objective tests, reviews, descriptions ...

Ivan

I've got a new EL 10X42 SV I haven't unpacked yet that I hope to "review" Sunday. They will be compared to my Zen ED 2, and Minox BP. I don't know what to expect for sure, but I don't look for the BP to be totally embarrassed considering the price difference.

I want objectivity too - but from my point of view please!

Though some values can be measured (more or less) objectively, we should be aware that subjectivity always plays a big part. Just a few points to explain what I mean:

1. WHAT do you measure "objectively"? AllBinos, for instance, give great importance to distortion. They may measure it objectively, but I personally never notice distortion. So the distortion result may - for my purposes - distort the result of the whole test. Many other features, optical and mechanical, can be measured or omitted, depending not on any objective criteria but on the personal preferences of the reviewer.

2. Handling is obviously important, but it is hardly possible to describe it objectively. It depends very much on your hands (etc.) and on how you use them.

3. In the end your binos have to work together not only with your hands but with your eyes and with your brain/perception. There are no objective values that can describe or predict how well a model will work for a particular user.

I'm not saying that it's all subjectivity, but we should be aware of the limitations of apparently objective tests, reviews, descriptions ...

Ivan

Ivan

Quite right Ivan. And although 'perceptions' and 'subjectivity' can be frustrating, they are also part of what makes binoculars, and the uses people put them to, so fascinating.

Lee

A binocular review is a way to make you feel inadequate about your own purchase, and for the reviewer to get a free expenses paid trip to a nice location. Note to manufacturers: I do not suffer from travel sickness, do not burn in strong sunlight, and I am potty trained.

Some of the moustaches in this thread deserve a custodial sentence.

Note to manufacturers: I do not suffer from travel sickness, do not burn in strong sunlight, and I am potty trained.

Some of the moustaches in this thread deserve a custodial sentence.

Thats not so impressive Leif, I can match that and I can say I love you in Norwegian and Swedish, and hello in Swahili, and I don't have a moustache.

Beat that!

Lee

That's a two-parter. First, I couldn't have been doing harmonies, because I couldn't carry a tune . . . in a bucket . . . without a lid! That was just one of the many talents I DIDN'T HAVE!

Secondly, the Walrus was Campbell.

Bill

Campbell was a "dead ringer," but we know now that Stevie Ricks replaced Paul during his long holiday from the Beatles. Dooooooo.,.,

The Walrus was Stevie

Brock

. But, Lee, did they say I love you in English?

Regretably, no. That's where it all broke down. :-O

But on the other hand it got a lot of laughs in Sweden as I was taught by a Norwegian girl and so spoke 'I love you' with a Norwegian accent which the Swedes thought was hilarious. This broke the ice and made me some friends in Sweden, and I should add I worked for a Swedish company at the time.

The Norwegians were to the Swedes what the Irish used to be to the English: the object of jokes. So a guy with an English voice speaking Norwegian was especially funny to them: must be those long dark nights. My boss used to ask me to say it to his Norwegian wife and when I did he would nearly bust his shorts laughing......

Lee

Don't forget to measure the eyepieces apparent field of view. And the sweetspot size would be sweet.
Numbers don't say it all. Our brain works in analog mode. But numbers don't hurt either.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back