• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I wanted to love the EL 8x32 SV (1 Viewer)

But they didn't! Instead, they took me to sunny places, fed me unbelievable barbecue, my ale cup was never empty and never lacked variety, and i was surrounded by beautiful maidens of amiable disposition, and birds. Many birds of many kinds.
You should try it, too. Try a Swarovision and wonderful things will happen to you too.

Hello Swedpat, I know how you feel about all this as I used to misunderstand this physical notions too, here's how it works:
Field flatness is the relative flatness of the transversal image given by the instrument, it useally is spherical which means that the plane of focus is actually not a plane but a portion of a sphere, therefore you cannot have simultaneously perfect focus in the centre and in the edge of the FOV (think of a tangential plane to a sphere), you need "to bring" the edge to your focal plane. Flat field instruments fix this problem, all the areas of the FOV are sharp because the field is closer to being a plane, BUT it doesn't mean that the field is not distorded (think of a distorded picture in a flat frame), distortion is actually a deformation of the image, flat does not mean without distortion, I know it can be misleading.
You can have a flat field with distortion and a curved field without it.

FLATNESS IS NOT ABOUT THE CURVATURE OF THE IMAGE, BUT ABOUT THE CURVATURE OF THE FIELD!

Now the rolling ball effect of the SV (barrel distortion "amplified" through scanning) has been GREATLY exagerated in this forum, it has become a fashion talk by snobs who don't know what to say to stand out from the crowd.

Thanks for your explanation. I think I may understand what you mean.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back