• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with the SLC 10x42 WB (1 Viewer)

surf n' turf

I have been trying to research as much as I can about the SLC 10x42 WB and I have to be honest that it seems I cannot keep the models straight as there is also the SLC HD 10x42. I understand it correctly the newest SLC is the WB and the older one is the HD? With that being said does the newer SLC still use HD glass or whatever iteration they want to call it? I have been looking at the Meopta Meostar B1 HD, Conquest HD and Razor HD but am debating ponying up a little more cash for the swaros if I can get some more info on them. Also is it true the new SLC's use abbe-konig prisms? Thanks for any Help!!

Joe

Joe .... Welcome to the Forum.

The current SLC 10X42 and 8X42 SLC replaced the previous HD version about a year and a half ago. At that time, a Swaro rep told me that optically they are "almost" the same.

The major changes are:
- New model will not focus as close.
- Body armor is changed which may make the new model slightly lighter(?).
- New version is less expensive which Swaro said is because it is less expense to make the new focus mechanism. However speculation says it was to separate it price wise from the EL line.

I spoke about the new SLC with a Swaro rep recently and he said the new model has slightly improved coatings over the HD and in his opinion, a slightly improved view. Seems it comes down to wanting the closer focus (assuming you could find the previous HD) or the newer coatings.

I will pass on the prisms.

Bruce, Thanks for the information. I just dont know why swaro cannot be a little more informative concerning the tech specs. First they call it HD, then they dont.....I am not sure about most but that immediately has me wondering if they kept HD glass in them. Then they dont post any info about the prisms. Frustrating. I could really care less about the close focus, it is not a deal breaker for me. Thanks again!

I have been trying to research as much as I can about the SLC 10x42 WB...I have been looking at the Meopta Meostar B1 HD, Conquest HD and Razor HD but am debating ponying up a little more cash for the swaros if I can get some more info on them. Thanks for any Help!!

Joe

Joe,

Not sure if you made your decision yet, but I too was in the same arena of decision making concerning your same optic comparisons. I just joined BF and thought I'd pass on my experiences.

After detailed in store (Cabelas) and outside daylight and nighttime (extreme dusk\dark) comparisons, I just purchased the Swaro SLC 10x42's (#58310) and for my eyes, feel they performed better then the El SV's. I'll be using the SLCs for wildlife observation and hunting, so their coating focus of higher contrast\low lighting design (Els coated for colors and clarity) should work better.

They really performed overall better than the Razors (much more 3D depth), Conquest (more accurate color) and Meostars (sharper resolution). Feel I've "Invested" in a life time observation purchase!

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back