• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with taking pictures of a Leitz Trinovid 6x24 (1 Viewer)

fekelund

Hi bird and binocular lovers,

I currently have my late grandfathers Leitz Trinovid 6x24 for sale on eBay. As the description mentions there’s slight scratching on the right eyepiece (not sure if it's in the glass or the coating). The pictures in the auction are taken with an iPhone and hence does not give a lot of detail, especially since eBay have compressed them heavily while uploading. I’ve been approached by potential buyers asking me to provide better pictures of the issue. I have a DSLR but I don’t have a lot of knowledge about binoculars, and I really don’t know what kind of pictures someone knowledgable in vintage binoculars like to have to feel more confident in bidding.

This is why I have registered here, this community seems to be incredible well versed in vintage binoculars. I would like to ask for help/tips on what kind of pictures to take. I’m of course interested in providing full disclosure so the more revealing the better.

Welcome to Birdforum.
I would use the DSLR, and try the macro setting, that is for close up photos.
Try it with or without flash, and you may have to adjust both your image size
and quality to a lower level, so the pics. are not so large, and limited by the
host. For pics of the lenses, try them at a slight angle, with decent room lighting
so you don't need flash.
You will just have to practice, and you will come up with some effective photos.
Good luck with the sale.
Another idea is for some that may require more, is to have them PM you, and
you could send photos by email, that are larger and more detailed.

Jerry

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I've tried the best I could to take better photos and I have now uploaded them to my Dropbox for anyone to view.

I've also commented/annotated each photo to make it more clear what is depicted.

This was a very helpful exercise for me since I realised that one lense inside right side has som kind of dirt coating going on. To me it kind of looks like a thin spray of grease but I'n not sure.

You've covered the main parts that I would like to see before buying/bidding. Your images are way beyond the average seller's efforts. Good luck.

Great to hear and thanks. Poor images are one of my pet peeves when buying on eBay and I want to make an effort in this area when selling. Especially when the item is worth a bit of money.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back