• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New - Leica Trinovid ? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I have heard a rumor that Leica is going to introduce a new

Trinovid model. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Jerry

It would make sense that a new Trinnie would be given the Ultravid HD optics now that Ultravid has moved up to HD+ with high transmission glass.

Lee

seems like bad timing since there still are a lot prev. model HD bins out there,
almost as cheap as the Trinovids,

perhaps a 8x32 Trinovid to compete with Conquests?

The Trinovid only needs an increase in light transmission.
I've had mine since mid 2013 and it's been another flawless pair of binoculars from Leica.

It would make sense that a new Trinnie would be given the Ultravid HD optics now that Ultravid has moved up to HD+ with high transmission glass.

Lee

Seems right and I bet they will use the current 42mm Trinovid body.
It would be nice if they make a new lighter body ...that
would pique my interest. The current Trinovid is heavy.

~ Beth (I changed my user name from Annabeth2)

Last edited:
I guess that would explain why some dealers have them for under $1k.....

Prices vary over here by as much as £100 from dealer to dealer but haven't found any advertising 'special discount or sale' prices on Trinovids in UK.

Lee

I don't know what's up with the Trinovid, but it looks like something. Cameraland has those sub-$1k prices. Eagle Optics only has 8x42 Trinovid demos "while supplies last." The 10x42 Trinovid is already removed from the website.

Stay tuned.

I don't know what's up with the Trinovid, but it looks like something. Cameraland has those sub-$1k prices. Eagle Optics only has 8x42 Trinovid demos "while supplies last." The 10x42 Trinovid is already removed from the website.

Stay tuned.

Somethings up ...

I've noticed an unusual large number of certified pre owned Trinovids for sale on the internet over the last year (no Ultravids) ? Maybe there was a bad production run at the Portugal facility or there is something more serious like design flaw (premature material failure) given all certified pre owned units for sale.

Nikon's EDG got hammered by the diopter problem, warranty returns, refurb. sales really decimated the resale value not too mention future unit sales.

Last edited:
Somethings up I've noticed an unusual large number of certified pre owned Trinovids for sale on the internet over the last year (no Ultravids) ? Maybe there was a bad production run at the Portugal facility or there is something more serious like design flaw (premature material failure) given all certified pre owned units for sale.

Nikon's EDG got hammered by the diopter problem, warranty returns, refurb. sales really decimated the resale value not too mention future unit sales.

I have a Leica 8x42 Ultravid Black line (leather covered) made in Portugal. I purchased it from Camera Land as a Demo a couple of years ago and saved a few hundred dollars. It was an open box binocular which was taken to an optics show for display purposes. It had never been touched and as far as I could tell it was never taken out of the box.

It came with a 10 year warranty as a "Certified Pre-owned binocular." I was told that Leica requires this statement on all binoculars which have been opened for use as display binoculars.

The same thing would apply to all of the new Trinovids which were used for those purposes anywhere they were offered for sale. If there are any structural problems with the Trinovids requiring refurbishing work I have not heard of them.

The problems with the Nikon EDG I were structural and obvious for the most part and they involved the armor bubbling and coming loose and the corrugated rubber ring surrounding the focus wheel stretching and causing it to stick. There also were some problems with the diopter staying accurate.

I had my 10x32 EDG I replaced by Nikon with a new EDG II because of the 1st two issues. The diopter on mine worked perfectly.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back