• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello - Thailand B.o.P (1 Viewer)

Scabace

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
My name is Steve and I'm from England. I stumbled across this forum while trying to find out some info for our trip to Thailand.

Having got back, all I can say is wow! What a country! I only saw a fraction of the birds there, and was sble to identify the majority of those we saw.
On one occasion though my wife and I were walking back to our villa and noticed a couple Brahminy Kites chasing off a larger bird, possibly an eagle of some sort. I didn't have my binoculars with me so used my camera phone to try and capture the bird. I'll try and put the pics on here, and I would very much like anyone's thoughts on what it might be.

I understand the light/pixels/distance could make it look like something else and it's just a black blob, but maybe someone will have a better knowledge that I.
We were in the Krabi/Aonang area and their flight path was towards the sea.

Thanks for any insight.
Steve

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180129-062841.jpg
    Screenshot_20180129-062841.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20180129-062942.jpg
    Screenshot_20180129-062942.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20180129-063021.jpg
    Screenshot_20180129-063021.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi Steve and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum, as there's a better chance of getting an ID in there. I also subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

You're welcome Steve.

What part of Sussex are you in. My family used to live in the Felpham/Bognor area. My niece now lives in Worthing.

I'm only guessing but could it be some sort of sea eagle : - perhaps a White-Bellied Sea Eagle?
I don't know whether or not that species is found in that country.
The photo's to me seem to show the possibility of a white graduated tail, and the head not being visible perhaps because it's pale against the sky?
However these are only tentative comments and I bow to more able persons' input.

I'm only guessing but could it be some sort of sea eagle : - perhaps a White-Bellied Sea Eagle?
I don't know whether or not that species is found in that country.
The photo's to me seem to show the possibility of a white graduated tail, and the head not being visible perhaps because it's pale against the sky?
However these are only tentative comments and I bow to more able persons' input.

There are WB Sea Eagles there. They show a lot of white as an adult but maybe a juvenile is darker. Good shout, thank you

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum. I hope you had a good time there in Thailand. Your bird is probably a fish-eagle. This one could be Grey-headed fish eagle if the size is significantly larger than Brahminy kite. If it's larger but not very much noticeable, Lesser fish eagle will be another choice also.

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum. I hope you had a good time there in Thailand. Your bird is probably a fish-eagle. This one could be Grey-headed fish eagle if the size is significantly larger than Brahminy kite. If it's larger but not very much noticeable, Lesser fish eagle will be another choice also.

Hello. Had a fantastic time in Thailand. We are trying to figure out when we come back!
Thank you for your suggestions, I will take a look.
This is another screen shot from the video, and it doesn't look hugely larger than the Brahminy kites.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180218-084252.jpg
    Screenshot_20180218-084252.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 22
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back