• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hume's or Common Lesser Whitethroat (1 Viewer)

mafaque

Looks like we are having trouble with Whitethroats these days. I'm pretty sure it is Hume's but still want a definitive opinion...
Thank you

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1519496123820.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519496123820.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 147
If Hume's is the default taxon for your region then I would defer to that, am unsure as to what other taxa might occur at this time.

Cheers Rother

Last edited:
It doesn't look right for Hume's to me - too small and compact, too much of a mask, etc. It looks more like one of the desert forms.

If Hume's is the default taxon for your region then I would defer to that, am unsure as to what other taxons might occur at this time.

Cheers

... or even taxa! Sorry to be pedantic but, if you're going to attempt to 'talk the talk' Ken, please watch your grammar!!

... or even taxa! Sorry to be pedantic but, if you're going to attempt to 'talk the talk' Ken, please watch your grammar!!

Remiss of me Rother.....quite right to correct me when I'm wrong, sometimes I'm a trifle lax! But then every downside (mine in this case) offers an upside for those provincial "chippies" amongst the readership. ;)

Arghhh... I was hoping for an answer :(

Apologies macaque, it appears that your thread got in the way of a "point scoring crossfire". :eek!: As you know this can be a very contentious taxa for those of us that dwell in the West, when confronted by races that come from all points East of Western Europe. As across the cline and elevations, this taxa can overlap cosmetically and thus confuse somewhat. FWIW...I've seen Desert Lesser Whitethroat at relatively close quarters albeit briefly, and my first impressions were Desert Warbler, something that I can't reconcile with your image.

Other counsels might deign to input your request?

Cheers

Last edited:
Can't help with the ID, but hope this might help with some constantly recurring grammatical issues:

Not sure which sp/taxon it is, out of the three mentioned spp/taxa

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back