• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good numbers of house Sparrows (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
:hi:
over these last 4 days, our house sparrows have really been on
the increase :clap: best count has been 56. it is great to see these cheeky
little fellows on the up & up. starlings around 20+ blue & great tits only about
6-8, coal tit 3. Blackbirds again not good, 4 seen. greenfinches 10 chaffinches
6. collared doves 7. and still the best visiter male Bullfinch. :bounce:

Nice stuff Bert, Ive got about 7 Blackbirds, 2 great tits, about 15 blue tits, 2 coal tits, 3 nuthatches,4 bullfinch(3 female), a mistle thrush, a robin and 5 dunnocks. Note the lack of any sparrers or starlings.

No shortage of Starling round 'ere, but it's good to see the house spuggies are holding on somewhere... precious few this way on!

Seb-Seb.
your nuthatches + mistlethrush make up a little for
the lack of sparrows-starlings!

Hi birdman, since we moved here 11 years ago we
always seem to have had plenty of sparrows, and
going from leyland to my old town of southport,
both areas hold good numbers of these little fellas.

Hi Seb-Seb. isent it always the same along comes
a lovely song thrush, feeding happily, only to be seen of by the local blackbird, such is life.

Hi Bert,
56 House Sparrows?While the species doesn't appear to have declined by much,if at all,in my area,we have never had such large numbers.
Starlings seem to have increased slightly since the early 90's,but don't occur in big flocks,except just after the breeding season.
We haven't had a tit of any species for the whole winter:to put this into perspective,we have had a male Blackcap,Grey Wagtail and a few Goldfinches,none of which are common in the area.We USED to get a few Blue and Great Tits daily each winter,and also the odd Coal Tit.We also no longer get Greenfinches or Chaffinches,despite populations of both species remaining stable in Cork city as a whole.
Harry H

I dont get any tits at all just Starlings and lots of them use to get loads of house sparrows about 60 now just a few.But i have a robin and a very nice blackbird that ran down the garden to me last week looking for some more food.

I've got plenty of spuggies visiting my garden but they are outnumbered easily by the starlings.

I have found a small number of house sparrows living in a small green space in the centre of London. I've worked in London for years and these are the first Spuggies I've found here so perhaps they are beginning to make a comeback?

Woody

I'm lucky to see more than 4 sparrows in the garden, except when the young ones are around. Don't see starlings very often, but when they visit there are usually 4 or 5, sometimes as many as eight, arguing over the wholemeal bread on the bird table.

Not seen my House Sparrows yet but Im sure they will come as for The Starlings more likely they will come too. I can till remember my excitement last year when I looked out the Kitchen Window and my garden was filled with thousands of Starlings it was wonderful I even saw little Starlings aswell I watched them till they all flew of together hope that happens again next year and I do hope The Great Tits will move back into their nestbox for the 2nd year fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I have more Starlings than Sparrows 10 to 6. Acouple of Great Tits, a couple of Blue Tits, the occasional Coal Tit. A couple of female Chaffinches the males have disappeared as have the Greenfinches. Half a dozen Jackdaws, a pair of Blackbirds him and her, a Robin and a Dunnock. With occassional raids by a Magpie, the inevitable Collared Doves haven't been seen in the past week.

Because I've been at home more over Christmas I suppose I've noticed the changes but certainly over the last few weeks the numbers of sparrows have increased. We always seemed to have a hardcore of about a dozen or so that wizz between all the local gardens. They have about 4 pigeons in tow that hoover up what the sparrows spill.
But the numbers have almost doubled and the dunnocks and wren have reappeared. Also got got a good sized flock of starlings, possibly 50 strong, that arrive on mass a couple of times a day.
I've also noticed a greenfinch in the last couple of days as well, havent seen one for months.
However they're all a bit like buses when they feed, nothing for hours then all come at once one after another.
Its looking like I might actually get something worthwhile to record in the Garden Birdwatch at the end of the month.

I have just recieved a record of 114 (min) from near Peterborough, UK. This shouldn't be remarkable but is the area's highest count for some years.

Starling was species #35 on my 2004 yearlist, and House Sparrow #36. Haven't seen a House Sparrow in my garden for 10 months now - used to have a regular flock of 30-40, justabout all the time.

Michael

We are still getting the odd Sparrow coming to or table and in the last couple of weeks half a dozen or so Blackcaps seem to have taken it over. One male is ringed but haven't been able to get a look at his number yet. Would be nice to know where he has come from as this is the first time in a year we have seen Blackcaps feeding.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back