• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG series (1 Viewer)

SzimiStyle

The Shorebird Addict
Anyone has experience on the new Nikon EDG binos? I am interested in the performance of 10x42 and 10x32 modells. I have no chance to try it so if you can share anything about it I appreciate it.

Szimi

Anyone has experience on the new Nikon EDG binos? I am interested in the performance of 10x42 and 10x32 modells. I have no chance to try it so if you can share anything about it I appreciate it.

Szimi

From what Henry Link has said about the 7x42 model, the EP design appears to be very similar to the HG/HG L lines.

I've owned a 10x42 LX and 10x42 LX L, and both were very sharp, with excellent color saturation and contrast (in fact, the best I've seen).

The LX L version was brighter but a bit too bright in the summer, to the point where the brightness overwhelmed the contrast, but that turned into an advantage in low light.

Both HG versions had excessive "rolling ball". There is no pincushion in these bins to make the image look natural while panning (at least in the full sized models).

And from what I can tell from Henry's comments, the full sized EDG is designed the same way.

I have the 8x32 LX, and it has some pincushion to offset the "roll" while panning.

If Nikon kept the EP design on the mid-sized models, the 10x32 should be better than the 10x42 in that regard.

But a lot of users don't see the "rolling ball" (though it can be objectively verified), or they do see it but quickly adapt to it so this is a reason you should "try before you buy".

I haven't tried the EDG series yet, but from what I've read so far they don't seem to be worth the hefty price increase over the HG/HG Ls.

The full sized 7x and 8x EPs must have been redesigned because the FOV is wider than the 8x HG, but the FOV is the same on the mid sized models.

So spending $1,200 more than my 8x32 LX for basically the same optics with an added ED element housed in an open bridged design doesn't seem worth it, even though it would probably be more comfortable to hold (I have large hands).

If you haven't checked out the 10x42/10x32 LX/HG series, I recommend you do that before plucking down megabucks on the EDG.

Also check out the 10x models in the Promaster/Hawke/Zen Ray ED series. I compared the 8x42 Promaster ED to my 8x32 LX, and was very surprised at how close the image quality was.

The LX has a more precise and smooth focuser and slightly better build quality, and it's much more compact, but for the price, the open roof Chinese ED bins are the best buy out there today.

Unless you have deep pockets and are willing to pay over $1,000 EXTRA to eek out that last 10% of performance from the EDG, it doesn't seem worth it, IMO, and that's coming from a here-there-to loyal Nikon fan.

However, I haven't actually tried the EDG, just basing this on Henry's comments and my experience with the HGs.

I look forward to hearing what those who have actually looked through the EDG have to say about it, particularly the models you mentioned.

Brock

Last edited:
I have tried a EDG a few days. The hinged objective lens covers are gone, which were on the pair I tried last year. It was a very nice feature. Don't know why they took them out.

Szimi,
You can still find the Nikon 10 x 42 SE Porro here in the USA for $899.00, which is about $1000.00 or so less than a 10 x 42 EDG and it probably is better optically than the EDG. There may be equivalent prices in Europe. Unless you require a roof prism for your usage?

The 10 x 32 HG L is no more. But if you can find one it may be worth your while to purchase it. I have the USA LX L equivalent and I am very pleased with it. I paid $699.00 for it over a year ago. (The new 10 x 32 EDG costs about $1000.00 more.) I use it almost exclusively over my other binoculars when I am observing from my deck. I think it is one of the best binocular bargains I ever made!
Bob

Joanie at Opticsplanet seemed to love the Edge. She said the image was fantastic and that they rated as high in resolution during testing as any bin she's ever had. I'm interested in these because I like that small form factor that Nikon and Leica use. And since I can't use Leica because the eyecups don't work for me that leaves Nikon for a high quality 10x42 in a small light package. Or possibly Vortex or Zen which I have no experience with.

The EDG to me at least is short, fat and dumpy. It is far too fat for me and I have pretty big hands. The optics seemed pretty good, but ergonomics stink for me.

The EDG to me at least is short, fat and dumpy. It is far too fat for me and I have pretty big hands. The optics seemed pretty good, but ergonomics stink for me.

Steve,

Mmm.. Fat? Could you please elaborate? I have large hands too, and find most closed bridged roofs hard to hold steady or comfortably, which is why I was excited about the EDG (until I saw the price).

Even my 8x32 LX, which has curved contours (though not as steep as the full sized models, which fit my hands better) and is "fatter" than most 8x32 roofs, in that they are longer and wider, is a challenge for me to hold real steady since there's no place to rest my thumbs.

With my 8x32 SE, my thumbs have a flat surface to rest and my palms have more to grip with the wider prism housing.

My friend Steve has smaller hands and the 8x32 LX fits his hands perfectly.

I tried a Promaster ED open-bridged roof, and it didn't fit my hands as well as I had expected.

There wasn't enough room between the barrels to fit my fingers from both hands (I had to stagger my fingers, one from one hand, one from the other, and my fingers are fairly slim).

Also, the deeply grooved thumb indents were in the wrong place (too far forward).

Is that what you mean about the EDG being too "fat"? There's not enough room for your fingers between the barrels?

How about the "gel pad" thumb rests? How did they work for you?

Brock

Imagine a Swarovski EL slamming into a wall. The impact both shortens the tubes and increases the diameter of the tube. It seems shorter than the EL and fatter too. I hope that explains it. I simply did not like the way it felt. The Venturer, LX and LXL have that same sort of fat feeling for me too, but not quite as bad as the EDG. Other than that purely personal preference as to the ergonomics, the optics seemed fine, certainly alpha quality, but I did not think the image was any better than the now newly renamed Premier series at the same Nikon booth. Maybe a bit more neutral color bias.

The gel pads seemed fine. There did seem to be more room between the barrels in the EDG than the Promaster. That is about the only ergonomic shortfall I see in the Promaster. However even in the Peregrine XP, I can't put a hand around each barrel without staggering my fingers. I would prefer the Promaster type style was a three finger gap as opposed to a two finger spacing. I would personally ban finger indents on binoculars.

Comments about reduction in color error from the ED glass are conspicuous in their absence. I thought that was supposed to be the big optical deal here. Otherwise, why bother?
Ron

Nikon EDG 10x42.

I have had the EDG 10x42 for several days now, I have had a chance to look through them to get a good feel for the new Nikon. I wanted to add a new 10 power, and have had a chance to look through them in all lighting conditions. I have directly compared them to my Swar. 8.5x42 EL, Nikon 8x32SE and Steiner Nighthunter 10x50. This way we have a or the leading roof and 2 very good porros. First off the view though these is excellent. I have owned all 3 of the Nikon SE's, and these have that very sharp, bright view that many Nikon fans appreciate. I am not an optics expert like some of those who frequent here, and I don't have any experience with any of the other Nikon premiers, but have with Leica, Kahles and others.
Things I like about the new Nikons are the very pleasing rubber tactile grip, I like the open bridge design and the thumb depressions are shallow and just right. When fully extended with eyecups they are approx. 3/4" shorter than the EL. I like the hinged objective covers, but the hard plastic eyepiece covers are noisy and a poor design. The focuser is a mixed blessing, it is very smooth and easy to work with 1 finger, and it only takes about 1/2 turn to go from 15 ft to infinity. Birders will really like the quick easy focus. The focus knob is also the diopter adjuster and it slides up and down too easily so it can be a distraction.
I have used these in all lighting conditions and I find the view very bright, the colors accurate and the contrast is superior. I am a birder and a deer hunter so low light is very important to me. These are very bright, and even at 10x, these seem brighter than the other binos I mentioned earlier. These are a step above the Swaro. 8.5x42. The depth of field is very good, and the FOV is wide for a 10x at 341 ft. I really like the handling and balance and it seems like I can hold these as steady as an 8 power. When you talk about the sweet spot with these, there isn't any "sweet spot", its there from "EDG to EDG".
So my summary here is that Nikon seems to have a new top tier Alpha binocular in the lineup.

Last edited:
Very nice ND. Thank you for the writeup. Is there any optical issues that you have found with them. If the image is sharp edge to edge (or very close to it), the apparent depth of field is good "for a 10x" and chromatic aberration is controlled well then I would have a hard time finding any fault with them. I have limited experience with a pair of 10x42s up at one of the local birdwatching sites. I wish I would have had more time with them.

Comments about reduction in color error from the ED glass are conspicuous in their absence. I thought that was supposed to be the big optical deal here. Otherwise, why bother?
Ron

The reduction in color error from the HG/LX Nikons is huge. I believe I said they were at least as good in that regard as the FLs, and you certainly couldn't say that about earlier Nikon roofs.

Very nice ND. Thank you for the writeup. Is there any optical issues that you have found with them. If the image is sharp edge to edge (or very close to it), the apparent depth of field is good "for a 10x" and chromatic aberration is controlled well then I would have a hard time finding any fault with them. I have limited experience with a pair of 10x42s up at one of the local birdwatching sites. I wish I would have had more time with them.

Frank: I can't find anything optical that I don't like, they are just very nice
to look through. I love my Swaros, but these just have that little extra. I have mentioned the things that I don't like, but from what I have gathered, Nikon has not cured the focuser thing, and they are shipping as is, so we just have to deal with that. Lens covers are easy to fix. By the way the adjustable strap is nice. As much as I like to pick up my 8x32 SE when going out the door, these things have me hooked. Of course they are new and then we often get excited, when we get something new.

[...] but the hard plastic eyepiece covers are noisy and a poor design.

But they are quite an amazing design.

I got some with a recent "bankrupt" dealer Nikon SE 10x42. It didn't have the original rainguard (or case) but I got an EDG rainguard (and deprived some EDG of it's rainguard).

It is quite an amazing piece of kit. It's large, hard plastic which is hinged with an IPD lock in the center (so you set it to match the IPD. And one of the "eyecup guards" has a ring which "locks" it in place via a compresion fitting. Quite the most remarkable rainguard I've ever seen.

Just seeing the engineering effort in the rainguard made me wonder about the effort in the rest of the EDG.

Whilst looking for a picture (which I couldn't find) I found this Birding review of the (Guatemala junket prototype) EDG

http://www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/pdf/Birding-08-6_Tools.pdf

which does include a picture of the rainguard (and an interesting review too ... I only get it for the articles).

And it's interesting that this site

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/edg/index.htm

makes NO mention of the binoculars ... just the spotters.

If Nikon hasn't fixed the EDG focuser I expect they are going to have real trouble with birders and hunters alike. If Leica can get it right, so can Nikon and Zeiss! I'm a diehard Nikon SE fan (no diopter problem on an SE), but a problematic focuser would drive me to Swarovski, assuming their new model controls CA better than the EL. Are you listening Nikon?

The article at http://www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/pdf/Birding-08-6_Tools.pdf identified the following problems:
1. A slipping diopter that will surely be a product killer if it's not fully addressed.
2. A noisy objective cover that will infuriate birders!
3. Perhaps too much eye relief for eyeglass wearers and no incremental adjustments to compensate!
4. Problematic hinged objective covers. I see VERY FEW birders using hinged covers and, IMHO, they are waste of time and energy. All they do is collect dirt and water...which end up on the lens when you put them on to "protect" the lens. My Leica hinges broke the first day and they now sit in my pocket, clean and dry, when not in use. KISS.

So, if I buy an EDG for $2000 do I really have to use O-rings to adjust the eye relief, duct tape the focuser to keep the diopter locked, purchase a silent rainguard and modify or replace the objective covers? Or, as I said earlier, buy the new Swarovski for an extra $1000. After a few aggravating sessions in the field the extra $1000 would seem like a bargain, assuming Swarovski didn't make similar errors.

John

Last edited:
Kevin and Fireform:

The design of the ocular cover may be very well concieved, but the material is out of ABS plastic, so in my mind the designer used the wrong type, these are very similar in the way they hinge to the Swar. EL cover, which are done well. ABS is a very hard plastic, clangs and noisy when hanging against the body of the bin. So that annoyance makes it unacceptable, and they will not be attached to my EDG's. I've already ordered a replacement in a more conventional
softer rubber type.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back