• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (1 Viewer)

Thanks all..

My partner's Bunting snaps from last year may well push me into a painting...

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 30
  • cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 42
Work In Progress #3: Spoonbill on Cardboard.

Buntings no. Spoonbill yes.

We had 2 very close encounters with Spoonbill last year. A favourite bird of mine. So quite a few reference photos to hand, showing some great poses. Also sketches.
So, about time I made a start on one, as I really have no excuse.

Sleeping posture, but alert. No sign of the famous bill! Paint the bird, but hide its best feature? :cat: Why not? ;)

This was also done on a bit of cardboard box to show Liam what a fine store of materials lie within the recycling.

This is based on a bird at South Lake, Slimbridge, England. Aug 09. Painted today. Not quite finished....B :)

Goache, WC Pencil on cardboard box.

EDIT: Added a dreadful sketch of the pose in question, and a photo, my partner brilliantly digiscoped, of the wonderful bird in question...think some more pieces may follow. Thanks for your comments! ;)

Attachments

• spoonboard.JPG
    spoonboard.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 31
  • Slim Spoon.JPG
    Slim Spoon.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Slim Spoon1.JPG
    Slim Spoon1.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Slim Spoon sketches.JPG
    Slim Spoon sketches.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Spoonbill etc 5th August 2009 058.jpg
    Spoonbill etc 5th August 2009 058.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
now that's a target to set myself! although if I can ever be that good with cardboard I'll probably join the immortals on Mount Olympus! :eek!:

phenomenal use of lighting and I love the windblown crest!! :t:

Great spoonbills Phil...[and that style reminds me of Carton Mooreparks works for some reason].....

....great stuff...as 'per' usual.....:cat:!

:t:

phenomenal stuff there Phil (just be careful not to let those pebbles shine too brightly though - the spooner should rightly have pride of place!)

Brilliant snoozing Spooner, Phil. THe sketch is sublime. I can't comment on the painting cos the last time I painted anything was my skirting boards.

Russ

Work In Progress #4: Spoonbill Studies...

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Now I know who Carton Moorparks was. And I thought it was User's joke about cardboard boxes! ;) Thanks User for that!

Back to the "Spooners". Been studying the sketches and "Madame Untitled's" photos from last August. Decided to do a "vignettes page".

Here's two studies to begin with...

A classic profile, and "Preening Undertail Coverts."

My, but Spoonbills can "throw some great shapes!"

Hope to do some more at some time. :cat:

Happy Sketching to you all! B :)

Attachments

• Spooner Studies a.JPG
    Spooner Studies a.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 40
[Phil]....Carton....? [chuckle]!

Hand on heart i did not mean it as a fun pun 'thing'!...i actually have one of Mooreparks illustrated books and it did just ring a bell in my head somehow....!

:t:

Lovely spoonbill colourwork - those bright blues in the b/ground and in the plumage shadows really illuminate the scene and bring an element of exoticism.

am I crazy, time for bed maybe, but I thought you started a thread of painting birds on the hand to scan; was going to post this hand painting extraordinary
here is the link lots of birds

cant find that thread anywhere in the list, was just here one min ago

here is a link in Japanese, showing a brief flash of how he does it

Attachments

• hand_painting_05.jpg
    hand_painting_05.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 34
  • hand_painting_15.jpg
    hand_painting_15.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 35
  • hand_painting_18.jpg
    hand_painting_18.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
It's colour and light with you all the way at the moment, add to that the sculpural and unusual form of the spoonies and it's a winning combination.

Mike

am I crazy, time for bed maybe, but I thought you started a thread of painting birds on the hand to scan; was going to post this hand painting extraordinary
here is the link lots of birds

cant find that thread anywhere in the list, was just here one min ago

Oh...my...gosh...!!!! 'They' are simply amazing Colleen....:eek!:

Have just seen these and you can consider my 'gob' to be well and truly 'smacked'..!!!

That second pic of 'handbird' is...is...[i can't find the right words to express]...'incredible' does not describe it..[or my reaction to the image]!

...many many thanks for posting.....:t: :cat:

Thanks friends for your delightful comments! ;)

Colleen, the hands are amazing. Everyone here appears to be amazing!

So glad to be a part of all this, and me being so pedestrian! :eek!:

Trying to wean myself off the "Spooners". A backlog of addressable subjects to play with.

This time last year, it was a male Little Bittern in Somerset, England. Rare bird here. He set up territory in a reed-bed, and called for many days. The RSPB confirmed that he moved to an inacessable part of the reserve, until September.

Madame Untitled, and myself had the great fortune of seeing him in flight, very close, on several occasions. I believe Mme. U referred to the sight of him in flight as "a fairy out of Heaven?" But, that could've been my description. They are remarkably beautiful birds!

The attached are basic splurges to capture the experience.

But he will be featured, dwarfed, in a reedbed painting at some juncture...:cat:

Oh! And he returned in late May, 2010, again! Maybe there's a "love interest" involved? I do hope so! B :)

Same place, but probably then to the "nicer marsh" where hoardes of people cannot seek him out. :t:

A link to his "song"...

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/browse.php?query=little+bittern

Hope you all have a fantastic artistic weekend!

Best of regards!

phil

Attachments

• Boczek.JPG
    Boczek.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Little Bittern Ham Wall 10 Jun 09.jpg
    Little Bittern Ham Wall 10 Jun 09.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back