• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buyers beware ! (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

Some of you might know I have been in toying of buying a new computer and having seen first hand an Apple Mac I decided I wanted one.
Checking out pricing I discovered the exact machine I was after as a "used" model on Amazon. It was half price. The buyer had a short history but it was 100% from previous testimonials.Amazon isn't as widely used as Ebay for second hand goods sales so I dare say many potential buyers are unaware of the procedures, anyway an email address was given for further information and the reply came back quite quickly
Hello,
the Apple 21.5-inch New iMac (Aluminium silver) - (Intel Core i5 Quad-core 2.7GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M, OS X Mountain Lion) is in new condition ( it just had to be listed as 'Used - Like New' as the box has been opened), comes with all manufacturer supplied accessories, UK model,1 year full warranty. It has not been used. The price is £501.00 including delivery.Return policy is full money back in 30 days. If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.
Regards,

I replied that sounded like a bargain and yes I'd have it, in the process sending my delivery address and phone number should the person want to answer my question on how to pay for it.
The item was taken off sale straight away and I waited for further contact.
Nothing came. I sent another e mail the following day . Still nothing.
Had the seller realised they had undersold the product. Maybe they bought it on a business account so the VAT could be claimed back and then they changed their minds about the operating system.I argued with myself surely everyone realised the worth of what they are trying to sell ?
I wanted that computer, and I wanted that price, it was a bargain.
I emailed again the following day and asked if the sale had fallen through and I got this reply
Hi again,
I was informed by Amazon that they send you all the payment and delivery informations. Search your inbox carefully and also check your bulk/spam/junk folder because it might have arrived there.
Please let me know asap.

Thank you!

Seven minutes earlier I had received an email from Amazon explaining their 3rd party policy. You sent the money via bank transfer to their agent in Poland and the money was held until you informed them that you were satisfied with the goods. Very authentic looking, there was even an email address which appeared to send to Amazon.co.uk if you had any queries relating to this invoice. These big companies do after all base themselves in foreign countries to avoid tax implications here in the UK. But bank transfer, that put up the warning lights.
I went in to my Amazon account and there was no mention of me having ordered this item , another major warning especially as an item I ordered the day after was right there.
The official looking invoice had the senders address. I checked it out on Google maps and although there was a similar address it was some distance away and the postcode I had been given here was a very unlikely place indeed.
Mark Lewis
41 Greenlands Road
Basingstoke
GU125RQ
United Kingdom
I rang Amazon and I have to say they were very efficient in getting back to me straight away.I have passed on all the details but I do wonder how far they will take it.
I have since spotted another mistake the scammer has made too.The emails I received were from a Mark Johnson not Lewis.
Finally, and I have only just noticed had I responded to the invoice email, the address that appears might look as if it's to Amazon.co.uk but if you put your mouse pointer over it it appears as Amazon.co.uk <[email protected]>;
So there you go. Another convincing attempt to try and con someone. The moral of the story is though, Caveat emptor..let the buyer beware ! Greed to secure that bargain might well be your downfall !

This is very similar to a common scam on Amazon - people list used items at a good price and ask you to email for more details. They will then offer you an extra discount if you pay by BT, if you do this you have no comeback when the item fails to arrive. Amazon are good at remove such listings if you report them, so it is worth doing so. If you do buy for Amazon marketplace make sure you place the order and pay for it on amazon.co.uk then you will be covered by the buyer protection which is very good.

Well,well ! The scammers are still at it. I rang Amazon earlier today to inform them but the person I spoke to didn't exactly sound convinced. When I saw that the advert was still there a few hours later I decided to do a little more investigative work to prove my point.
The item was identical, a 21.5inch Apple Mac, price £513 and an email address that is available for further questions ( a breach of Amazon's rules in itself apparently but potential buyers don't know that). It also lists the sellers star rating.It's only when you click on it you find an actual address. This time it's a legitimate company in Dorset ( my scam was someone in Cumbria). I "googled" them to find a telephone number and rang them to confirm they haven't got an Apple Mac for sale and yes, they have been hacked and they have changed their password.
I rang Amazon and spoke to someone who seemed incredulous that I had so much detail. He has promised to pass it on to higher office when they open tomorrow.
It seems that a few sellers are getting their pages hacked !
I also received this email from my scam today too
Hello
I have already dispatched the package,but the package is on hold until you will make and send the payment informations to Amazon.
After that i will provide you also the tracking number.
Can you please tell me when are you able to make the payment?
waiting for your email asap.

As if ! They use of English starting to look a little foreign too;);)

It appears that the advert on Amazon has now gone. This means that either Amazon have removed it or they , the scammers, have done so themselves having hooked another potential buyer. Hope it's the former !

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back