• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/head for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

curtA2

Hi

This might better be posted here. I just got a Kowa 884 - so straight scope, and plan to do a lot of digiscoping (iPhone and Digidapter - P&S) as well as regular birding with it. I'm struggling to find the right balance between weight of the rig and stability. It is recommended by the digiscopers to not use a center post and to use a video head. Doing so gets me to a minimum of around 8.5 - 9 pounds (4 kg). Or I could get long legs and a light head perhaps and get around 7 ponds or go lighter with a birding rig (5 - 5.5 pounds). Obviously lighter will mean less stability. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

Curt

what is your budget? look for a three-section carbon fiber tripod that supports 25+ weight; and Manfretto or Gitzo pan/tilt head...this will set you back up to $800 though...

You want stability....so if you are desiring to digiscope, you simply have no choice. I know I have a nice sturdy Benro classic tripod(around $300) and a Manfrotto 128RC head (around 108$ and B & H). Together they ran close to $400+ but well worth it. Don't scrimp on the stability of your outfit.

If you have a nice scope like you do and you want to do some digiscoping, you need to have stability. Good luck, jim

You didn't say how tall you are. I have had the 884 over a year and love it! I am 5'8" tall and use the Induro At 214 with a Manfrotto 502 head. I have about three inches left on the legs short of full extension so up to 5' 11" you should be good. Most of my digiscoping (5S) is done with stationary birds so a good ball head like a Siuri K30 Or K40 would work and save a couple of lbs. The manfrotto head for regular viewing is the sweetest thing I've found. It is very steady and easy to set so that it moves freely but stays where you put it with ought locking anything. I only tighten mine if I'm giving looks to others. works well and cheaper than alternatives unless you want to spring for carbon fiber.
Steve

I don't use the Kowa 884 - I use one of it's ancestors, namely the TSN4.
Just my thoughts, firstly forget the weight of your setup - it is so light that any barely adequate tripod will happily support it.
Secondly - what matters is the magnification that you are using. I am primarily a photographer using the longest production lens available and it is relatively easy to support compared to my ageing TSN4!
In my experience spotting scopes are FAR more demanding of tripods than big, heavy, camera lenses simply because of the magnification that they offer.
If I want to cut down on weight I use a 2 series Gitzo with my old Kowa, though light, it is barely adequate in my opinion. When weight is not so critical I use a 3 series Gitzo Systematic. True Gitzo tripods are very expensive but they do provide the rigidity and vibration damping that is (in my opinion) critical to stable and comfortable viewing.
You have one of, if not the, best scopes available so it just wouldn't make sense to skimp on the tripod!
Just my 2p.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back