• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The way they walk (1 Viewer)

Barmpot

Is it just because I'm not looking properly, or is it true that all small birds will only ever "jump", whereas large birds often "walk"? Is this because smaller birds' legs are too short to take a proper step?

Hi Barmpot. Briefly, no. For example, pipits and wagtails walk. All small waders walk too. Also the locustella warblers, I believe (never seen one on the ground though). Oh yes - larks too (at least I can't think of any that don't).

Last edited:
I spend hours watching our Jackdaws ,who are not exactly small birds,and they hop/jump,do not think I have actually seen them walking as such.But yes,as Jason has mentioned,the Wagtails certainly walk,and very quickly,but the Blackbirds do run/walk,esp when running for sultanas!!!

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology Handbook of Bird Biology (1-24) seems to be saying that the first birds hopped from tree branch to tree branch, and that some birds who now spend a lot of time on the ground now walk instead, but the changeover has been pretty patchy. For example the Greater Roadrunner runs, but has close relatives amongst the Cuckoos that hop. Most passerines hop, but Crows and Starlings walk. Adult Larks, Pipits and Wagtails walk and run, but juveniles hop.

Last edited:
mcdowella said:
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology Handbook of Bird Biology (1-24) seems to be saying that the first birds hopped from tree branch to tree branch, and that some birds who now spend a lot of time on the ground now walk instead, but the changeover has been pretty patchy. For example the Greater Roadrunner runs, but has close relatives amongst the Cuckoos that hop. Most passerines hop, but Crows and Starlings walk. Adult Larks, Pipits and Wagtails walk and run, but juveniles hop.
I asked really because when I watch the very small birds in my garden, wrens, blue tits and robins for example, they only ever seem to jump, but I guess with blue tits in particular it's because they're rarely on the ground. I've never seen a dunnock walk either, they always jump. I know starlings walk, and I always think they look quite funny.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back