• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best insulated Jacket?? (1 Viewer)

barontan2418

United Kingdom
I'm looking to purchase a lightweight, low bulk , insulated jacket suitable for mainly static bird watching in the (at present, very cold) North Pennines and would very much appreciate advice or recommendations.

Mick Baron

barontan2418 said:
I'm looking to purchase a lightweight, low bulk , insulated jacket suitable for mainly static bird watching in the (at present, very cold) North Pennines and would very much appreciate advice or recommendations.

Mick Baron

I've found that a simple thin goretex coat is more useful and versatile.
I wear (typically) long-johns & windproof trousers, long sleeve polyester vest, as many cheap fleeces as needed, goretex coat, goretex boots, polyester/polyamide socks, fleece gloves with silk liners, fleece hat with ear covers.
All my stuff is cheapish but works very well as the layers all trap air, there are no gaps.
Temperature regulation is easier with layers and when the sun comes out the coat can go in the backpack.
I used Nikwax to waterproof some fleeces in case of showers.

PS - forgot to mention the gaiters - best buy ever.

Field & trek website

M&Mdirect website

Allweathers website

Tried to learn my lessons from the Canada goose. I own 2 LandsEnd goosedown vests that I wear under a wool coat on frigid days on top of a wool shirt. Never fails me even at 10 degres F. Any lower than that I'm not out. Geese swim through ice I want what they have.
Sam

Hi Mick

I used a Rohan down and feather jacket in the Antarctic recently - completely wind-proof and very warm. Recommended.

Cheers

Dave

Try belay jackets from CCC Outdoors in Horbury,Wakefield.20% off at present. I use a Lowe Outer Limits primaloft jacket. There are many others.I spend a lot of time drawing birds outdoors and this type of jacket has a good water repellent finish, keeps you warm even when wet (unlike down) and you can even throw it on over the top of your wet waterproof! I've used this type of jacket for years in the hills, packs down into a small stuff-sac.

Many thanks for all your comments and recommendations. I decided upon a Snugpak Sleeka it seems to fit all my criteria, very lightweight, fits into a pack-sack and although it's yet to be tested I'm sure it will go a long way to limiting the effect of that cold North Pennines wind.

Rock N Run have Lowe Alpine Outer Limits synthetic jackets reduced to £55 - very warm and essentially waterproof.

Best isoleted clothes

Hi,

for cyceling ( most of my birdtours are cycle tours ), I use polartec ( Malden ) clothes. For rain protection goretex. If I make some longer breaks I use down clothes from Yeti design. They are produce near Berlin. There are only very few companies they produce clothes in Germany e.g. Yeti design ( high quality down products ) and Trigema.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back