• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

Pink feet movements

David Norgate , your information about the lack of pinkfeet around Buckenham is incorrect. Doing survey work I had 125 on October 25th and 35 November 27th flying up from the Yare Valley over Buckenham and heading north. Also over a thousand were feeding on a beet and wheat fields just north of the A47 close to Buckenham for over a week at the start of November.

Pink footed geese do move between north / north west Norfolk and the Broads including the Yare Valley.

Nearly 100 pink-feet over Buxton Heath on the Norwich Holt Road on 22 January 2005.

On a foggy December 22 2006 pink-feet flew west over Dereham Road area of Norwich near the Fat Cat PH. 50 of the flock were visible in the fog.

On 30 December 2007 some 5,000 flew north west over Reepham. Not in one flock but counts of 650, 500, 500 again, 100, another 500 and 1,500 etc.

Pink-Feet

A large flock (judging by sound) flew over North Walsham at 10pm last night heading West.

A few Redwings about last night also.

Tideliner, thank you very much for your updated information on the Pink-feet in the Buckenham area, it is information like this that I believe this thread is about. What is the annual population of Pink-feet in the area? I imagine that it has changed a lot over the past few years, would you be able to give us an overview of the trend in the area. The area is one I always enjoy visiting, but do not get there very often (as you can tell!!)
James - might give you some ideas on where to look!

I have, in the past, had night time flights of Pink-feet over Dereham, seemingly associated with foggy conditions.

Last edited:
There have been up to 40 Taiga Bean Geese at Cantley Marshes recently. It is said that this is a couple of weeks late and smaller numbers than usual. Again, does anyone have any date or trend information on these birds?

Last edited:
David

As per the 2006 Norfok Bird Report - First returning birds 6 on Nov 2nd with 26 on the 4th, but no others until well into Dec when just 60 by month end (with a peak of 135 that winter on Jan 27th 07), so low numbers by this time obviously not unprecedented and certainly time for the numbers to build up.

Oh and a belated welcome back too!

Regards

Simon

Many thanks, Simon (on both accounts), just wondered if anyone had long term trend details (without having to trawl back through various bird reports!)

Titchwell December 2nd

Today's highlights

Brambling - 1 on feeders
Whooper swan - 9 over reserve early afternoon
Golden plover - 1500 on fresh marsh

Snettisham

Shorelark - 2 on beach between Rotary and Shore hides
Snow bunting - 2 on beach between Rotary and Shore hides
Whooper swan - 27 south over reserve

Paul

Many thanks, Simon (on both accounts), just wondered if anyone had long term trend details (without having to trawl back through various bird reports!)

Its interesting comparing the Scottish flock of Taiga Beans to ours.

The Clyde Taiga's arrive there in September so obviously make a direct flight there from the breeding grounds, but given the much later arrival of the Cantley flock they obviously stop off on the near continent for a good number of weeks before arriving here, despite the fact that the two flocks presumably originate from pretty much the same area.

The arrival of our birds is probably a cold weather movement, so the milder it is in the late autumn/early winter period on the continent the longer they will stay there, and obviously the later they will arrive here.

It would be interesting to know if any data/trends that does exist on numbers/arrival dates shows any direct correlation with a drop in temperature on the continent, and what effect climate change has had on their arrival dates in recent winters.

Simon

Recent posts about Taiga Beans from elsewhere that got me interested in this:

'What I can say is that the Yare Valley birds breed in Swedish Lapland and
stage on spring return migration in NW Jutland (Denmark) and moult in late
summer at Vasterbotten in Sweden. Quite where they are before they get back
to Norfolk is unknown but possibly still in Sweden or Denmark or more
likely in Holland.

I am guessing that the Slamannan birds most likely breed in Scandinavia too
but it is a complete anomaly why both discrete populations clearly have
such different migration schedules and are clearly unrelated as a nucleus.'
per LGRE

'Interestingly there does not appear to be a link with the Yare Valley birds and Holland. Probably in harsh continental winters we may get some cold weather movement of Dutch birds but as Lee correctly states the route seems to be from somewhere up in Northern Sweden/Norway (exact breeding site not confirmed to my knowledge) via Vasterbotten, Sweden then Vejlerne, North-west Jutland, Denmark.

The Scottish birds (which first appeared in 1981) may be derived from a captive breeding/release program started in 1974 in South-central Sweden, but maybe someone Scottish has more details on them. I don't know when the Dumfries & Galloway wintering site ceased and whether it was thought any of the birds moved to the new site in Central Scotland?

The best reference I have on Bean Geese is BB 84: 161-170 May 1991.'
per Paul Whiteman

Wasn't sure if you'd already seen them.

Last edited:
No I hadn't. Thanks for copying them over as they make interesting reading.

As Lee says its puzzling why the two populations do migrate so differently.

Simon

Pink-feet have become regular winter visitors to this part of the county and Broadland in the last 15 years or so, perhaps longer. Movements between the NW of Norfolk and 'the East' are shown by for example the appearance of Snow and Ross's Goose that have ben seen with them in the NW, as well as birds sporting numbered plastic collars. I'm sure Steve Lister will have some examples of the latter; it would be great if you could post some Steve. At dusk on November 13th I watched several skeins heading SE over my garden towards Sea Palling; c.4,000+, this being the most I've noted so far this autumn. Also, a flock which took a liking to some winter cereal in Lessingham peaked at c.2,500 on November 27th, and a Barnacle Goose in their midst may have been one of those seen at Anmer on November 20th by Dave Appleton and detailed on his website.

By the way, if anyone knows who reported the Little Auk at Happisburgh on December 1st I'd appreciate a PM with futher details...

James

Picture attached below of a particularly striking individual in the Golden Plover flock at Titchwell.

Sadly distance/light prevented any really decent pics but you can get the idea of what it looked like from this anyway.

Simon

Attachments

• TitchwellPlover1.jpg
    TitchwellPlover1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 246
Christmas cards ? No !

This year, I've made a donation to the WWF, in lieu of sending the above to those who've previously received them from/sent them to me.

This is in line with what has happened for several years in my schools and is, obviously, a much more environmentally friendly and supportive thing to do.

Thus:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ! !​
[/SIZE]

Titchwell December 4th

Today's highlights

Great Northern diver - 3 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Golden plover - 1500 on fresh marsh
Pintail - 170 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 40 on fresh marsh

Paul

Okay everyone, what's the score on today's Brunnich's Guillemot(s)?!?
PS What happened to last years 'claims'? (haven't got the 2008 bird report!)

Apparently one flew west past Cley at 9:55am with 3 Guillemots, and then there was a possible off Sheringham later in the day.

Last edited:
The Sheringham report came on the pager later in the day (2:10ish) but the actual sighting was 'in the morning', no time given.

Stopped off again in the Broads briefly this afternoon but again no sign of the Ring-necked Duck. Fewer Tufted and Pochard than 2 days ago too. Best was a female example of DEFRA's most wanted...

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back