• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Florida shorebirds 2. (1 Viewer)

davemangham

Apologies if this is getting tiresome.

I know that these pictures are very likely common, unmistakeable species to most of you, but it's my first foray into shorebirds and I need to find my legs somewhat.

The attached was taken in Sanibel (Lee County, Florida) in Dec 2007. After studying 'Sibley's' I think it is an America Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica), but I'd appreciate either confirmation or otherwise.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• Plover16A4-0034.jpg
    Plover16A4-0034.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 153
Is a Black Bellied Plover what we Europeans would call a Grey Plover? If so I agree. Bill looks too chunky for any Golden Plover

Thanks...

...to all of you.

Trevor, you're the man in the relevant locale so best to be familiar with these, so I'll go with Black-bellied (P. squatarola).

Brosnabirder - Is this the same specie we call 'Grey' ?

Dave

Apologies if this is getting tiresome.

Not at all mate, it's good to keep on your toes trying to id birds from pic's here. Especially ones from other continents where your not as familiar with them.

I agree the bird is what we would call a Grey Plover on this side of the "pond".

Dave
I'm thinking that it is but temporarily separated from my copy of The Shorebird Guide so not sure. Just thought it resembled Grey. Excellent book by the way. Covers a good few of "our" waders too. well worth seeking out.

Yup, Grey Plover = Black-bellied Plover, and this is one of 'em. Anyone unconvinced by bill size should also take a look at this guy's lack of strong supercillium and lack of primary projection.

Thanks folks

..for all the responses

Not at all mate, it's good to keep on your toes trying to id birds from pic's here. Especially ones from other continents where your not as familiar with them.

I agree the bird is what we would call a Grey Plover on this side of the "pond".

Dougie - Thanks for the encouragement. Being a tyro, the problem I'm finding is that the field guides all give some kind of a statement like 'Bird A has a longer beak than bird B, and can be distinguished by the slightly longer primaries and a generally more upright stance than bird B'. This is OK if you're already familiar with bird B from which to draw a comparison, but fairly useless if you're not!

Oh well, keep on trying.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back