• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier HD 20-60x85mm (1 Viewer)

JonD

Had this scope for a couple of months now. Its great at 20x and up to about 30x but certainly up from 40x to 60x its extremely hard to get clear focus and view. I would say 50-60x are pretty useless they are so hard to focus and get a decent image.

This is my first scope so is this normal, a peculiarity of the Hawke eyepiece or should I be getting a decent image even at high multis.

Thanks
Jon

I had the Hawke Endurance 85 ED, and loved it.

Certainly got beautiful clear crisp views up to mid forties, bit softer at 50x, with full zoom 60x only really on sunny days.

Certainly wouldn't expect you to lose sout much performance at such low magnifications.

Had this scope for a couple of months now. Its great at 20x and up to about 30x but certainly up from 40x to 60x its extremely hard to get clear focus and view. I would say 50-60x are pretty useless they are so hard to focus and get a decent image.

This is my first scope so is this normal, a peculiarity of the Hawke eyepiece or should I be getting a decent image even at high multis.

Thanks
Jon
Hi Jon. I've had mine a while now and I don't have the same issue. A problem with the eyepiece maybe?

Rich

Thanks for the responses. Sorry yes its an ED, not an HD. I do get good image at 20x so will persist with it some more and practice with the 40x and above around the garden.

Hi,

yes, an ED doublet should work at 60x. The focusing is a bit tricky at higher mags, especially with a single speed focus drive as the depth of field is getting quite thin. But with practice it should work.

Thanks to Ratal you have got a benchmark picture to aim for.

Joachim

There's a review of that scope in a well knowed web and they find the same problem with the focus system.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back