• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greylag Goose? (1 Viewer)

NaturePete said:
I reckon you've got yourself a Greylag x Canada hybrid there, Jeff.

On reflection I think Silvio may be closer, the head is more fully white than you'd expect from a Canada hybrid.

Could there be a few farmyard goose genes in there?

It was taken at Upton Warren (Worc), it stuck very close to that Canada goose, everywhere it went so did that.

Silvio Davison said:
Coul be...but on the other hand it should have more canada in it shouldn't it?

Hi Silvio. Canada elements to this bird are its neck length, body length, the dark neck and hood, the bills shape maybe, blackish bits on bill. They are common on duck ponds in my area.
The greylag would have been a white farmyard type.

I'm not an expert in geese...so you're prob right..mine was just a vague try! Sometimes I've seen ducks and geese with white patches but never a hybrid with canada...thanks Steven!

Am I the only who plays this (stupid I admit (o)<) game : guess the identity of the bird from the title ? :D

Strange Goose => hybrid Canada x Greylag
Strange Duck => Muskovy Duck (or domestic Mallard)
Strange passerine => Dunnock ;)

Just kidding !

Th_SQ said:
Am I the only who plays this (stupid I admit (o)<) game : guess the identity of the bird from the title ? :D

Strange Goose => hybrid Canada x Greylag
Strange Duck => Muskovy Duck (or domestic Mallard)
Strange passerine => Dunnock ;)

Just kidding !

Title said - Greylag Goose? ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back