• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The soon to be G9 (1 Viewer)

John,
the other option is that the non-compatibility is a demand from Leica: they did expect the MC to reduce the quality of the 100-400 too much, and therefore, they would not lend their name to the 100-400 if it was compatible with the MC.

Niels

This rumors story has the AF of the G9 as the worlds fastest: https://www.43rumors.com/g9-better-...est-af-new-jpg-engine-6-5-stop-stabilization/

Might be the usual exaggeration, but still ...

Niels

Always read the fine print.

There are some minor restrictions to it like using single point of focus and a specific lens, leica 12-60mm at the wide end (f2.8). o:)

See the press release:

"*2 In 1-Area AF, at wide-end with H-ES12060 (CIPA) in LVF120 fps setting."

https://www.dpreview.com/news/47082...uge-evf-and-class-leading-image-stabilization

Last edited:
The G9’s only let down is no native ISO100 in my eyes - is like my G80 on steroids features and build-wise by the looks of things, all does seem to suggest it will be Panasonic’s ultimate birding camera - the move to a bigger pixel count sensor will be like a 1.25x TC with no loss of light - needless to say I am tempted!

No electromagnetic shutter, but does have a soft sounding floating construction shutter as in GH5 so should still be pretty special on the 100-400 in theory.

Last edited:
Just had a play with the G9,apart from the price i couldn't fault it, nice to hold, great EVF, AF on the 30 and 60 FPS but the best thing to me was it will do manual exposure with auto ISO and exposure compensation.

I have not been able to try manual mode with auto ISO and EC yet, but it does seem to make sense on paper as a mode for birds and using telephoto lenses.

Shutter priority has had to be my birding mode to date - will be interesting to see if Panasonic roll this feature out for any lower tiered models, or just keep it reserved to their high-end models.

I have not been able to try manual mode with auto ISO and EC yet, but it does seem to make sense on paper as a mode for birds and using telephoto lenses.

Shutter priority has had to be my birding mode to date - will be interesting to see if Panasonic roll this feature out for any lower tiered models, or just keep it reserved to their high-end models.

Its something i always used with Nikon,the only good thing about shutter priority and auto iso with ec is the 100-400 is sharp wide open.
Dont think you will see it on the lower models as the tech guy said its the extra processing power in the GH5 and G9 that allow them to do it.

Its something i always used with Nikon,the only good thing about shutter priority and auto iso with ec is the 100-400 is sharp wide open.
Dont think you will see it on the lower models as the tech guy said its the extra processing power in the GH5 and G9 that allow them to do it.

That’s interesting to know re processing power - guess it may not filter down to other models then - have seen many complaints before about Panasonic not making the mode available, and guess that may well be the reason why not, not come across a possible reason before.

Sounds weird. Either you set the shutter and the aperture, or you set shutter and the camera chooses aperture -- and then you add auto iso and and compensation. It seems to me that it should be less complex to do the addition if both are set manually than if one of them is set by the automatics and thereafter, that setting have to be calculated into the rest.

Niels

several links to tests at the rumor site: https://www.43rumors.com/new-panasonic-g9-tests/
quote from one of them:
At first we weren't sure the G9 defined itself enough from the GH5, but after weeks of use we're now certain it does. With mighty impressive image stabilisation, an ultra-sensitive shutter, super-fast burst mode, accomplished continuous autofocus and burst shooting, plus a viewfinder that's unrivalled by any mirrorless model, the G9 really is the finest mirrorless camera that money can buy.

Niels

Another one from the rumor site: https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-g9-test-trustedreviews-panasonics-best-stills-camera-date/
And CameraJabber did a test Shooting sport with the Panasonic Lumix G9:
It’s clear from my experience at the rugby that the Panasonic Lumix G9 is a capable sports camera. It doesn’t deliver a 100% hit rate, but it gets the subject sharp on the vast majority of occasions.
It’s worth bearing in mind that I was shooting in relatively low light and low contrast conditions, the camera would have a much easier time of it in clear weather.

That is probably the most significant AF statement to date. I am looking forward to more.

Niels

"If I was casually shooting sports, with the intent on getting a few good keepers, I’d bring the G9 along. If a publication hired me to document a basketball game, I’d reach for a camera with phase detect AF."

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Shooting Experience

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dc-g9/2

Seems that the panasonic focusing system is still struggling a bit with moving subjects/hit rate

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back