• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (36 Viewers)

Hi All,

Anybody know where I can find long or short eared owls around Norfolk (South or East) Anyone know if there are any at Haddiscoe.

Thanks Anne

Id head for north norfolk along any of the coastal marshes for the short eared owls, the long eared owl is nocturnal and very shy so may need a spot of luck on your side!

Id head for north norfolk along any of the coastal marshes for the short eared owls

I wouldn't, though I guess they are probably there.

Best place I know is to walk out from Halvergate to Berney Arms windmill - on a cold blue-sky day, it's fantastic, and you'd be unlucky not to see SEO. (Though I don't know what numbers are like in this particular winter).

Another route where I've had some success is to walk out to St Benets Abbey from just south of Ludham.

And as suggested, walking out along the New Cut at Haddiscoe (park under the flyover bridge at St Olaves) is likely to be good as well - I'm surprised there's not a Rough-legged Buzzard out there yet, either!

I don't know of any LEO sites at the moment, and I doubt that anyone will publicise them if they do.

Hi All,

Anybody know where I can find long or short eared owls around Norfolk (South or East) Anyone know if there are any at Haddiscoe.

Thanks Anne

There hasn't been a short-eared owl on the marshes at Haddiscoe yet this year (or a rough-leg though these usually appear later in the winter, January/February). A short walk along the Haddiscoe New Cut on Sunday gave me bittern and bearded tit so it's always worth a look.

Humes warbler performing well between the old kissing gate and the toilet block at Wells this pm, also a trumpeting Northern Bullfinch along the Quags track at Kelling.

John

http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/

What time was the N Bullfinch - would have tried at lunchtime if I'd known!

Some photos are showing the HYBW as a seemingly bright individual (don't think I've ever seen one as 'yellow').

What time was the N Bullfinch - would have tried at lunchtime if I'd known!

Some photos are showing the HYBW as a seemingly bright individual (don't think I've ever seen one as 'yellow').

Bullfinch was seen mid morning but flew off onto Muckelbourgh hill, not sure if it returned as I was on my second Norfolk twitch of the year to the Humes.
Yes it was a bright bird with a paler bill than those I have seen in the past, but all the other boxes ticked.

john

Re message 10446, I am obviously living in the past. The old kissing gate for those new to the area is/was through the kissing gate from the car park, where the track forks the old kissing gate used to be on the left, the old toilet block is some 200yds up the track on the right. Cannot remember when the old gate was removed, but it was sometime after 1970!!!

John

Bullfinch was seen mid morning but flew off onto Muckelbourgh hill, not sure if it returned as I was on my second Norfolk twitch of the year to the Humes.
Yes it was a bright bird with a paler bill than those I have seen in the past, but all the other boxes ticked.

john

I can count a few more than that;)

Sheringham Waxwing

As I lurched, staggered and slid to fetch my weekly dose of baked wheat product just now, a Waxwing flew over me, along The Boulevard and may have gone down in gardens along North Street.

I could not locate it on my way back.

Pictured below is the view from my living-room window this morning- before the white-out. A few berries may be seen in the distance.

Attachments

• 004sm.jpg
    004sm.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 263
Anyone seen the Norwich waxwings over the last couple of days?..ive been looking but cant locate them recently.

Eco

As I lurched, staggered and slid to fetch my weekly dose of baked wheat product just now, a Waxwing flew over me, along The Boulevard and may have gone down in gardens along North Street.

I could not locate it on my way back.

Pictured below is the view from my living-room window this morning- before the white-out. A few berries may be seen in the distance.

You must have a good seabird list on your house list with a view like that!

Paul

Titchwell December 3rd

Today's highlights

Lapland bunting - 1 on brackish marsh
Twite - 2 on brackish marsh
Merlin - 1 over brackish marsh
Woodcock - 1 in/off sea

Paul

Anyone seen the Norwich waxwings over the last couple of days?..ive been looking but cant locate them recently.

Eco

Hey, I saw 80+ today at 1.40pm flying over the UEA Lake from Bluebell road towards the N&N by pure luck walking to my lecture.
A week ago I saw 30 in Bowthorpe near 3score way.

Cold prevents Hume’s. Cold commits Humeicide ?

I managed to leave my sick-bed and go birding today, for the first time this week. Unfortunately, it was too late for what is now, presumably, the late Hume’s at Wells. It had, according to information received, looked quite poorly yesterday- seeming to suffer from something akin to Ovenbirditis.

Once having left the perilous packed-snow-sheets of my immediate vicinity, the drive was surprisingly easy and Salthouse soon reached. Mrs Bling the Stonechat was hard by the car park; Lapwings and Golden Plovers down everywhere.

The Blue Tit had re-appeared at Gramboro’, but again avoided photographic capture. I flushed a Woodcock, it flushed a Snow Bunting and then went down a little way away- I had good views, as it flew into the field.

Walsey held an unusually chattering Blackbird, amongst many, but nothing of real note.

A Redpoll sp rattled above and flew out of view, as I parked further east. Muckleburgh could be the place ! Indeed, my heat missed a beat, as I flushed a black thrush showing a flash of white. Unfortunately, it was a slightly mottled male Blackbird- a very partial albino (although I’m not sure to what it was partial.) My speckleation thus was ended.

What may have begun as a snowman was south of the airfield. It is, however, definitely more Picasso than Calder, being cuboid, rather than able to move- when it might have been labeled a snow-mobile.

Re Paul’s #10452: I don’t suppose many house lists in the UK include Lesser Crested Tern.

Attachments

• 021psesm.jpg
    021psesm.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 165
37 Goosander, 16 Little Grebe and 5 Goldeneye on the Ouse and Ouse Relief Channel between Denver Sluice and Stowbridge this afternoon.

Redpolls

At least 40+ Lesser Redpolls at Dersingham Bog this morning with a minimum of 8 Mealys amongst them.... try as I might, I couldn't magic up an Arctic, although I was only equipped with bins at the time so could easily have missed something more juicy.

Waxwing at Stow Bardolph near Downham Market this morning was just a "heard-only". Got to find one that isn't simply flying over before long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back