• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

desk top or laptop (1 Viewer)

perlin

need to get a new computer,I use my desktop for my photos,using PS CS5,and internet use,but now laptops are more powerful,I was wondering about getting a good laptop,or should I get a new desktop,which would be best.thanks.

I guess it depends on how you will be using the computer. If you want to have portability the laptops the choice. If you plan to just keep the computer in one place a desktop may be a better choice. You can upgrade certain components on a desktop that you cant on a laptop, like the video card. Desktops still tend to be better performers in general.

Dana

If you do a lot of photo-editing then it is great to have a big screen, a proper mouse and a tablet. If you can afford it then have those on a docking station with an auxiliary graphics card and plug your laptop into it and you can have the best of both worlds.

there's only 2 reasons for buying a laptop,

firstly you need the portability which comes with a laptop,
secondly you don't have sufficient space to be able to house a desktop.

otherwise for any given sum of money you will get better performance from desktop than you will form laptop,

particularly if you're brave enough to build your own from components.

I just got a new computer, a desktop. I don't need portability and I don't like laptops. The keyboard is too small with the keys too close together and at the wrong level for easy typing and I don't like using the finger thingy as a mouse. If you need or like to write at length, then a desktop is preferable IMO. But if you need portability..........then get a laptop.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back