• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyke Meet Spring 2011 (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
After Sundays half day birding, can't count the morning as it was just naff weather, lets plan the next one.
So ideas for venues and dates.

I'd go for close to but not at Easter to try and bag early migrants. No idea where though.
As per usual I'll be voting for a Sunday as well.

That's a busy time for bank holidays with Easter, the royal wedding closely followed by May Day. For no other reason than people may have other plans I make the suggestion of Sunday 17th April. The fact that it is my 50th birthday is mere coincidence B :)

Will it be too late for blackgrouse/tooearly for wheatear etc???Or another go for sprawks with muscles??

Seeing as we had Wheatear and ouzel in conjunction with black grouse last year at the end of march i would suggest your in with a good chance. I'm probably a no go if it's round easter as I will be in Spain.

Seeing as we had Wheatear and ouzel in conjunction with black grouse last year at the end of march i would suggest your in with a good chance. I'm probably a no go if it's round easter as I will be in Spain.

That has just reminded me James...please pm me later this week...have legal matters tomorrow,,,head clearer therafter!!
Paul

With me that makes 3 votes for April 17th so how about fixing that as the date?

That leaves venue, I'm quite attracted by the black grouse etc but what does everyone else think?

3 for the grouse...so can we take it the venue is settled as well.

So 17th April at the black grouse site with maybe a side order of beefed up sprawks.

Would be interested in going, never done one before though so if someone could let me know the arrangement.

Never seen Black Grouse so that would get my vote too.

Hi Trystan, you would be very welcome. The more the merrier.

Generally speaking most people car share. So, if you know of anyone from your area who's going send them a PM. Otherwise I can send you details of the meeting place in Arkengarthdale (not far from The Stang if you know that part of the Dales). After that we will move on to a couple of other places looking for local goodies. It's all very informal and operates on consensus. An early start is required to get there by 8ish. The exact details tend only to gel near to the date

As it happens, last year's trip was my first tyke meet and was thoroughly enjoyable if cold at the beginning of April. These meetings are always a good craic and it's nice to meet the people behind the usernames. Hope you can make it.

Hi Trystan, you would be very welcome. The more the merrier.

Generally speaking most people car share. So, if you know of anyone from your area who's going send them a PM. Otherwise I can send you details of the meeting place in Arkengarthdale (not far from The Stang if you know that part of the Dales). After that we will move on to a couple of other places looking for local goodies. It's all very informal and operates on consensus. An early start is required to get there by 8ish. The exact details tend only to gel near to the date

As it happens, last year's trip was my first tyke meet and was thoroughly enjoyable if cold at the beginning of April. These meetings are always a good craic and it's nice to meet the people behind the usernames. Hope you can make it.

Seconded! You would be very welcome!!And,,,Black Grouse is not on my yorks or british list! Ok...seen 'em in Poland, but we all start somewhere....and we all know that! We r good bunch..the contacts made will lead to good birds/friendships etc.I'm doing my best to unravel all that with my rants about redpolls...but honestly....the people I have met,as a relative newcomer, are all wonderful people!

And they/we like doing what u do too!So , please feel very welcome!

Thanks Ken and Doc Reed,

I will try to wrangle the car for the day as I don't know anyone for a lift. I don't know the area at all so some detailed directions nearer the time would be good!

As you say I hope it will be a good opportunity make friends and improve my knowledge as I've always been a bit of a loner when it comes to birdwatching previously!

went to arkengarthdale earlier this month, without overly spectacular results. ive got my finals coming up, so wont make it, but could i suggest langdon beck in co.durham instead, i know its out of county, but there's 50+ birds showing well there regularly. may just be a bit better for a largeish group to get good views?

makes no ends to me, guess it just depends on how bothered about county lists you are?

Hi Ollie, I agree that Langdon Beck is a better bet. However time, distance and Yorkshire listing will mitigate against that option. Good luck with the finals :t:

Trystan, the meeting place is here. Keep an eye on this thread for updates. Hope to see you there.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back