• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kindle 3G: check birding websites in the field (1 Viewer)

dogfish

I'm getting one of these for Christmas (not primarily for birding, of course). But I wondered had anyone used the (free) 3G connection on this device to read birding websites, eg RBA, Birdguides.
As I understand it the browser is rather basic but capable of handling websites that are mostly text.
Many thanks
Sean

Thanks for that Mono. It's a rather confused and contradictory post though; I take it to mean that the current 3G Kindles will still be offering net access (the 3G model for sale on Amazon now is advertised as having this feature), but future models won't.
I'd still be interested to know if anyone's tried looking at RBA or Birdguides in the field though.

Sean

I wondered a few months ago about the possibility of owning a Kindle Fire (in colour IIRC) and an e copy of Collins, mainly on weight saving grounds when I'm out and about in Portugal/France etc. Sadly, no sign of an eCollins, so....

I wondered a few months ago about the possibility of owning a Kindle Fire (in colour IIRC) and an e copy of Collins, mainly on weight saving grounds when I'm out and about in Portugal/France etc. Sadly, no sign of an eCollins, so....

My missus uses Kindle (on her phone with 4.3" screen) but fancies one of these Kindle Fire's, sadly not due for UK release until next year. I think the price is very good, seems like they are selling well in the States (you can already get one of those on eBay) and she's used to Android. I don't really see the point in the present monochrome versions, too restricted and "focused" but OK for text only content.

Pete

I don't really see the point in the present monochrome versions, too restricted and "focused" but OK for text only content.

Pete

The e-Ink screen on the current kindles are infintely better than the screen on a mobile phone, laptop or a tablet for reading text (which is after all the main point of a kindle) - no eye strain, immense battery life and readable in direct sunlight.

It is not though any use for a web browser - I wouldn't even contemplate trying to use the browser on it - yes technically it is capable of displaying some websites but it is massively slow and unusable in practice.

I agree it is disappointing that the Collins guide is not available as an ecopy especially when Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America and The Handbook of Bird Identification: For Europe and the Western Palearctic both from Helm are available electronically

David

The Kindle Fire is not very light in weight compared to the other Kindles.

Hi there

Another newbie to kindle make here

I see that there a few threads about the subject of Kindle too. ;)

Hi KC I see that you have some connection with it too in your life too.

What are peoples experience of using Kindle as it is now :gh:

My OH wants to buy me this piece of software for Xmas, and I am wondering how it capabilities have moved on as they are now.

I see that there are some bird books attached to the software.

Do bird book for ID's....exist as they are now at all

Love to hear peoples views

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Eventually bought a Kindle 4 (without a keyboard) for my missus for Xmas. For anyone else who (like she) likes to read in bed, there is NO backlight on ANY of the Kindle's (apart from the Fire). This means you have to have a light on. Not very good for situations where light is low. This seems to have been a major omission. No wonder they have long battery life! ;-)

Pete

Eventually bought a Kindle 4 (without a keyboard) for my missus for Xmas. For anyone else who (like she) likes to read in bed, there is NO backlight on ANY of the Kindle's (apart from the Fire). This means you have to have a light on. Not very good for situations where light is low. This seems to have been a major omission. No wonder they have long battery life! ;-)

Pete

It's the nature of the e-ink technology (which gives a much more natural reading experience... much more like paper), not an omission as such. You can buy Kindle cases with a built in light, or clip-on lights for rather less money.

It's the nature of the e-ink technology (which gives a much more natural reading experience... much more like paper), not an omission as such. You can buy Kindle cases with a built in light, or clip-on lights for rather less money.

She likes the Kindle but hates having to have the light on to read. During the day she uses the Kindle and while in bed she uses the Kindle app on her Android phone. They are synced automatically via the Kindle website so she's always on the right page of the book she's reading. Personally I think the "better reading experience" is an opinion rather than a fact, the instances of poor or no light, far exceed those of too much light. The fact that these "add on lights" are available seems to add weight to the "omission" theory.

Pete

The whole point of a Kindle and eBook readers in general is that they simulate books, you read by reflected light.

The whole point of a Kindle and eBook readers in general is that they simulate books, you read by reflected light.

I agree - the whole point of e-ink is that its not an LED/LCD screen. You can use them in bright sunshine etc. Give me a screen I can read anywhere that there is sufficient light to see and an amazing battery life over 2 hours of being able to read away from direct sunlight any day!

I'm getting one of these for Christmas (not primarily for birding, of course). But I wondered had anyone used the (free) 3G connection on this device to read birding websites, eg RBA, Birdguides.
As I understand it the browser is rather basic but capable of handling websites that are mostly text.
Many thanks
Sean

I bought a Kindle Keyboard with 3G recently and it seems to handle my local bird sightings web pages well enough over 3G. I can't comment on RBA and birdguides though as I don't think I've ever been to those sites. Rather pleased that using it I can access the nationalrail and traveline websites and my web email on it - should prove very useful for my trips away... if I can get a signal!

As I understand it one of the drawbacks with Kindles (and probably others too) at present is the lack of indexing. As there aren't pages as such then searching for e.g. a species in a book can be laborious. Also locating diagrams/illustrations is a bit hit and miss.

I have no doubt that these and other issues will be addressed in due course but I don't think field guides will be an option for a little while yet.

The kindle indexes books as you add them so you can type in search terms for it to find. It'll show which books have the term in and how many times and then when you select a book it'll show a short segment of the text surrounding each occurrence of the word you're searching for, each being selectable to take you to the relevant section of that book.

I was only talking to my brother about this topic last night - the current ebook readers are definitely biased more towards reading novels and the like, not really designed for reference material you have to scan through and flip back and forth through pages a lot. Plus for guide books they're not ideal as the pictures will be mono! These things are still in their infancy though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back