• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Never seen a wild Little Owl (1 Viewer)

Graham G

Just joined this forum - so I'm very much a newby. I live in South Devon UK and have never seen a wild Little Owl : any suggestions?

Hi Graham and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you with your search for Little Owl, my track record isn't that good for them.... saw my only one two years ago in Norfolk (with help LOL ). You could try posting in the Information Wanted forum.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Just joined this forum - so I'm very much a newby. I live in South Devon UK and have never seen a wild Little Owl : any suggestions?

Hi Graham, in my previous farming life, I used to see or hear Little Owls almost daily, I would recommend going out in the evenings at any time of year as this is when they start calling and communicating with each other and learn to recognise the call ( like a yapping small dog ), they seem to prefer farmland Grazing or arable with hedgerows interspersed with the occasional mature or dead tree also check fence lines as they often like to perch on the posts, someone on here may give you a specific site for south Devon, but in my experience they can be found almost anywhere in the right habitat...Good luck and let us know

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Graham. Welcome to BirdForum. Here in Wales they seem to very localised - I've not seen one this year. Info. doesn't seem to be readily available due to potential disturbance. I think I read on Twitter that the famous Portland birds have left due to disturbance.

Rich

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back